How to sync custom stage location at wwwroot/stage dir

Hi, I have a DSA nodes and keeping custom software scripts data at one of the DSA node wwwrootbes/stage dir , is there any way i can syn this folder to other DSA nodes , as all other default data is syn up with DSA architecture.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything native in BigFix to do that. If you created the ā€œstageā€ directory yourself, you should be able to replicate it by other means. Whatā€™s the OS? My DSAā€™s are Windows, and I havenā€™t had any trouble with using Microsoft DFS-R to replicate specific custom subdirectories of wwwrootbes - but do not try to replicate all of wwwrootbes or any of the default / BigFix-managed directories.

1 Like

Ok , thanks i will try with Microsoft DFS-R to sync custom dir.

Thanks

If you place the custom software within wwwrootbes/Uploads/<stage dir>, then I believe that content would in fact be replicated with DSA.

Hi Jason,

MS DFS-R needs a domain admin privileged and i am not able to configure it. :frowning:

Ok that means if I just update the location wwwrootbes/Uploads it would sync up right?

Correct. Iā€™ve confirmed that elements within wwwrootbes/Uploads would be replicated via DSA. You can create the desired staging directories underneath wwwrootbes/Uploads, along with associated files, and they should automatically be synchronized after successful replication.

2 Likes

Hi Aram, yes this time replication works when i copied stage dir into wwwrootbes/Uploads , but only thing is that i have to modify the download settings to http://server:52311/stage/ to http://server:52311/Uploads/stage/ ??

Is it something you can help without moving old package download location ?

You would have to modify the download/prefetch URL in your actionscripts, yes. One way to approach that would be to export your content, and do a text/string replacement on the exported .bes file, then re-import.

ok , got it thanksā€¦

I wasnā€™t aware that wwwrootbes/Uploads is replicated! A quick check shows this is working for me as well.

Are there any practical limits to file count or file size for replicating the Uploads folder? BigFix OS Deployment stores OS images in this path, and they can be tens of gigabytes.

Iā€™m considering moving my own software distributions to use this path (I have been using a custom directory beneath wwwrootbes and replicating it with my own scripts up to this point). Right now my repo is about 10,000 files and 100 GB, Iā€™m concerned about overwhelming DSA replication when I move this under Uploadsā€¦

Also, do file deletions from the Uploads folder also get replicated and removed from the DSA partners as well?

Hi Aram, can you please confirm if huge data in the Uploads/stage dir may not causing DSA replication time or load?

If you would like to move the packages into this path, Iā€™d suggest doing so slowly and over time, and monitoring progress as well as general performance and resource consumption.

Part of the underlying mechanism that is leveraged for this replication involves calculating file hashes to determine if changes have occurred (sha1, sha256), and these can take some time/resources to calculate (particularly with large numbers of files, or very large files). A full ā€˜scanā€™ is performed by a FillDB thread on service startup, and subsequent changes/additions are captured via a lightweight filesystem monitoring mechanism. Deletions should also be covered by this replication process.

Ok, if stage dir reaches 100GB is there performance impact on Replication or filldb running service?

I seem to have a problem where the files are only being copied in one direction. Files added to DSA1ā€™s Uploads folders are being copied to DSA2, but files added to DSA2ā€™s Uploads folder are not getting back to DSA1.

I can open a PMR on this if I canā€™t find a resolution myself. But in general would this indicate a problem with FillDB or another process, and would it be more likely a problem on DSA1 or on DSA2?