How to pre-cache RHEL / Linux patches

Hi, i have a patching window for RHEL 7 machines for 2 hours , but there are few servers having more than 300 fixlets missing , and it would take 3-4 hours to download patches and then install which leads more time in actual patching window for Linux machines.

Is there any way to download patches in app / relay servers before the actual execution of the RHEL patches, just like windows pre-caching wizard option?

Have you tried the “Start client downloads before constraints are satisfied” option in the execution of the task?

yes, it worked, but i want to download not on the execution windows but patch caching only , is there any option without starting take action?

You’ll need to “take action”, set an “action start time” to be the start of your future patching window, and check “start downloads before constraints are met”.

That only partailly helps though. That will pre-download the rpm packages that are relevant, but the RPM Dependency Resolution only occurs while the action is running, so the dependent packages will still download at execution time.

Also be sure to read up on “multiple package baselines” for RPM patching, that drastically reduces the patch baseline execution times for us by reducing the number of times the dependency resolution database has to download & run.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply, i tried “multiple package baseline” option and found it took almost 23 mins for installing 10 packages which looks huge time, though i have high spead internet at the application server?

Can i use RHSM download cache tool as well for keeping the package list in advance. I use this time online method instead of local repo