How can I make it so that a site is able to subscribe itself to a manual group?

I was tasked to find a way to create a manual action that can be ran by the end user. The action needs to be available for any site to sign up for but the action must be voluntary not forced.

I guess you could create a task that runs through the Master Action site that subscribes a client to the site and make the action an offer to the clients.

Out of curiosity, what scenario begs this question?

Many customers are wanting a mass rollout of Windows patches that needs little interaction from them. The problem with this is that many of our customer can’t install just any windows patches so we want to make it something they can sign up for.

Your mention of a “manual group” and “site subscription” is confusing the issue.

Create an automatic group with the following relevance:

windows of operating system

AND

exists values whose(TRUE = it as string as trimmed string as boolean) of settings "Custom_Patching" of client

Then you target windows patching baselines at this group. You have a task that can be an offer or could be something the distributed IT run that sets that client setting.

DO NOT USE manual groups. They are a bad idea. NEVER USE THEM.

The task you run to add the client setting to opt clients into patching is the following:

Relevance:

not exists values whose(TRUE = it as string as trimmed string as boolean) of settings "Custom_Patching" of client

Actionscript:

setting "Custom_Patching"="TRUE" on "{now}" for client

You can use this same task to opt-in any client to patching regardless of OS. You just create a different automatic group to contain all of the clients of the other OSes that also have this setting.

In general, it is probably not a good idea to use Client Settings for tons and tons of stuff, but it is one of the best ways to store some info that is completely cross platform.

Opt-ing clients into patching is a perfect example of the use of a custom client setting.