Home Dev Setup: BF Platform on Win 10 with SQL Express?

I’m still looking to setup my home dev lab, but I wanted to get an opinion on the complete setup I’m considering.

• Two Windows 10 VMs on VMWare Fusion Pro
    • Install MS SQL Express 2016 on both
    • Install BigFix Platform on one VM with Web Reports and WebUI
    • Install Bigfix Inventory/Compliance on the other
  • Install 2+ other VMs with a Linux variant (Red Hat? Something else?) as additional BF clients
  • For “fun” I’ll probably also have the agent on my Mac laptop and on some Rasp Pi’s.

I would think this kind of configuration should be okay for a dev lab, but I’m unclear on installing BF Platform and Inventory/Compliance on Windows 10. If that wouldn’t work, then I’d consider Linux for my Platform OS, and then use the Windows 10 VMs for clients.

So, will I be able to kick off and install BigFix Platform on Windows 10? What about the other BigFix applications?

Windows 10 is a desktop OS and BigFix requires a server OS like Windows 2016. You can use RHEL Server 6 or 7 instead. Detailed BigFix Platform reqs are available here: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21976664

@dmccalla I understand the “requirement” for a server OS, but I’m installing this on a development system, not one that is intended for testing, DR, or production. I didn’t think there was a restriction in the installer that would prevent BigFix platform from installing on Windows 10, nor was there a technical limitation preventing it from running.

I thought that I had seen folks at conferences and other venues run a demo BigFix on Win10, but definitely let me know if I’m off base and I need to go to Linux.

If you are just poking around because you are new to BigFix and really want to use Windows instead of RHEL, I say give it a shot and see what happens. Can’t hurt. Just as long as you understand that we do not support nor test this configuration. If you can handle RHEL, you stand a far better chance of getting help with the install and anything that comes after it because you are running something that is supported. Much wider audience and more experienced people will be able to help.