Having Trouble Installing Microsoft Teams

Hello,
I was able to find a MS Teams MSI from here:

But when I crate the task and run it, it completes, but doesn’t seem to install at all. For Teams do I have to edit the action script in some way that I don’t for most other apps I deploy?

prefetch 9a16fdf4d8a14cffb2e73cec54a2a54b9fd7dfad sha1:9a16fdf4d8a14cffb2e73cec54a2a54b9fd7dfad size:95163266 http://dpwbfx01.vail:52311/Uploads/9a16fdf4d8a14cffb2e73cec54a2a54b9fd7dfad/Teams_windows_x64.msi.tmp sha256:282eccbd8eb2e0de4d419e780552bcce9767e7fb86cc7f9643b2902b1dfcb38e
extract 9a16fdf4d8a14cffb2e73cec54a2a54b9fd7dfad
wait “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /i “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\Teams_windows_x64.msi”}” /qn /norestart

You can reference below, but the MSI is the Installer installer; not the Profile installer.

You are correct to be installing the MSI… but it won’t show as installed until someone logs in.

Thanks! Does this part of the action script look ok to you to not have Teams auto start? I feel like the quotes might be messed up.
wait “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /i “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\Teams_windows_x64.msi” OPTIONS=“noAutoStart=true”}” /qn /norestart

This is my Action Script:

//Download
if {x64 of operating system}
 prefetch Teams_windows_x64.msi sha1:6f402cac7b5c6b9af9adfc7d1b576b5c90459441 size:95346688 http://bfx.FQDN.com:52311/Uploads/Teams/Teams_windows_x64.msi
else
 prefetch Teams_windows.msi sha1:d28bacb8f2a25b828a8606f546e9fb35a260f131 size:82743296 http://bfx.FQDN.com:52311/Uploads/Teams/Teams_windows.msi
endif

//Installation
  waithidden msiexec.exe /i "__download\Teams_windows_x64.msi" /qn
else
  waithidden msiexec.exe /i "__download\Teams_windows.msi" /qn
endif

Gotcha, but Teams seems to auto start when the user logs in again but because we aren’t yet on Teams we wanted to prevent that auto start of the app.

Does Teams have a Service I’m not aware of? If you’re not using it yet, don’t deploy it. It only takes a short time to deploy and then all folks have to do is logoff/on.

Regardless, the command to do that would be:

msiexec /i Teams_windows.msi OPTIONS="noAutoStart=true"

But you’d be shooting yourself in the foot if you go that route IMO.

Alexa,

I am trying to copy your work here and when I run the first section of your action script to prefetch the files (customized with the latest MSI’s and updated SHA1 values) it works perfectly in my Fixlet Debugger, however when I try to put it into Bigfix into an actual Fixlet/Task, I keep getting the error: Unable to parse action script line 3: Prefetch command syntax error.

prefetch Teams_windows_x64.msi sha1:D1DA5DB797E936448E55CD069AB94180990DBC74 size:98070528 http://SERVER.FQDN.COM:52311/Uploads/Teams/Teams_windows_x64.msi
else
prefetch Teams_windows.msi sha1:AB0ED75F4913509460DB9EC82E30C50F5C56E5BB size:85405696 http://SERVER.FQDN.COM:52311/Uploads/Teams/Teams_windows.msi
endif

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

As it turns out, I solved my issue. I had to add the SHA256: value to the end of each prefetch, it wouldn’t work without it. Thanks either way for all your posts on here!

Here is the Action Script from within my Console.

Yeah, it think something with my security settings required the SHA1 AND SHA256 values to be present for it to be acceptable. I never understood why both are needed but whatever works. Thanks again!

That’s based on the “Enable Enhanced Security” option in the BESAdmin tool.

Sha1 is technically broken, so we can enforce validation of stronger sha256 hashes for downloads. However we still need to track sha1 values for download requests and caching to maintain compatibility with the existing infrastructure.

I didn’t know that about the SHA1 being broken. I take it enabling “Enable Enhanced Security” forces the need for both SHA1 and SHA256? Which must mean I don’t have it enabled.

Enhanced Security actually has two options in BESAdmin. One option requires the use of TLS 1.2 in agent/server communications, the second requires the use of sha256 hashes for signing and downloads. With the second option enabled, yes the download commands require both sha1 and sha256 specified in the script. This could break older custom content so it’s not on by default.

@AlexaVonTess , thanks for sharing this. What does your uninstall look like of you don’t mind sharing?

Curious as it doesn’t live in the local system and is unique to the users

uninstall String —> “C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe” --uninstall

I never created or had the need for an uninstaller. If I did, it didn’t look too easy to do.

thanks, I was being lazy :slight_smile: I got something together now just need to run it through the test.

Relevance
exists file "Update.exe" of folders "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams" of folders whose(exists folders "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams" of it) of folder "C:\Users"

Then I will use create file and write a batch for the bellow uninstall.
"c:\users\{name of current user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe” --uninstall

2 Likes

Is MS Teams Fixlet available in BigFix ? or do we need to download & create Software distribution ? please reply , thank you!

This conversation wouldn’t exist if MS Teams was native to your BigFix Subscription. You’ll need to create it yourself as this conversation covers.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: