HA setup for Bigfix Inventory

I am planning to setup another instance of bigfix inventory for HA purposes. I wanted to know if this is possible since there is nothing in the documentation that suggests so.
All i found was one bigfix inventory talking to multiple bigfix instances as data sources but no where it is mentioned about two BFI instances pulling data from the same bigfix setup.
Is there any side effect to doing this?

Having recently setup BigFix Inventory, I do not believe there is any way to do this.

Iā€™d be thrilled if someone proves me wrong.

For now, my DA strategy is to backup the database nightly.

I could just point the new BFI to the existing Bigfix server and IMO it should work. I am just concerned whether BFI imports changes something on bigfix side. If that is the case, the import that runs from the second BFI server would fetch me incomplete information.

Hi,

BFI does not have an HA feature and it is not planned to have one (like two instances of BFI synchronizing each other).
It is possible though to set up two instances of BFI that will talk to the same Bigfix server. Both shall get the same data because BFI does not change data on Bigfix server side.

Such approach is not documented and therefore not maintained by BFI.

On the side about backup of BFI db. BFI db database can be recreated based on Bigfix db.

Regards,
Andrzej

1 Like