Getting Started with UNIX Patch Management

(imported topic written by Scott_Martin)

I’ve submitted a PMR for the question I’m about to ask, however I thought I’d ask here to see if I get a quicker response.

I’m having trouble getting started with UNIX Patch Management.

I installed the latest IEM (TEM) version 9.0.649.0. Right now I’m just using a standalone server with no relays. Very small scale. I have valid licensing for Lifecycle Management.

So here’s my problem. I’ve enabled a couple of the patching sites: Patching Support and Patches for Solaris.

I’ve verified that the sites were gathered. My GatherDB.log shows the following:

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:36:44 -0400 – Beginning import of version 84 of site Patching Support

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:36:55 -0400 – Import of version 84 of site Patching Support completed successfully

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 04:37:21 -0400 – Beginning import of version 85 of site Patching Support

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 04:37:32 -0400 – Import of version 85 of site Patching Support completed successfully

So here is the problem. In the console under Patches for Solaris and Patching Support, I never see any sub-items like I see under the BES Support site. There is no “Fixlets and Tasks” sub item, no “Baselines”, etc.

I don’t mean that these entries are empty either, I mean that they don’t exist. There is no “+” sign beside of either of these sites and therefore no sub-items.

I’ve attached a screen shot to show this.

Can anyone offer assistance?