Fixlet to Upgrade Firefox to Firefox ESR

There are two fixlets for deploying FF 52.01, 6081358 and 6081337, the later being the ESR version. We would like to upgrade the non-ESR versions to ESR. I’ve sent this out to two systems and removed the relevance so that it would be forced to them and am waiting on results. Is there any reason this wouldn’t be a default fixlet (upgrading from non-ESR to ESR)? The background is that the non-ESR version is causing issues with Oracle.

I don’t think there is any difference between the v52 non-ESR and ESR releases since ESR synched with v52, so you will have the same issue with v52 ESR. You would want to deploy the v45 ESR release, which is only going to get one more update (45.9) before end-of-life.

Hi @AlexaVonTess,

Each fixlet has a relevance add to make it relevant only to currently installed versions. This is to avoid accidental updates from ESR to non-ESR or non-ESR to ESR.
Also many times non-ESR versions are ahead of ESR versions and it wouldn’t be always practical to downgrade them.

Thanks,
Sameer

1 Like

Actually, the non-ESR version 52 has dropped support for NPAPI plugins (Java, most glaringly) while the ESR-52 is the last version to support NPAPI.

Thanks everyone. This is good information. I wasn’t sure what the differences were between ESR and non-ESR. Basically the ESR version seems more suited for businesses where we manage our endpoints. So upgrading non-ESR to ESR seems like the best approach in our environment.