Firmware update from Bigfix

I just want to understand if anyone has executed firmware update from Bigfix?

Yes; many of us have. Hardware vendors generally provide a Windows or Linux executable for flashing the system firmware,.and these can definitely be deployed through BigFix.

I have experience on HP, Dell, and Lenovo; and @jgstew has an entire suite of content based on auto-generating Fixlets like this using Dell Command Center.

1 Like

Thank you @JasonWalker

Can you please me with any fixlet? I am creating it for Lenovo Thinkpads and I have no direction , what should we use. Should we use thinkinstaller?

You’ll need to locate the flash binary which will be specific to your model (or a range of models)

See “Update BIOS through Windows with an executable file downloaded from Lenovo Support (support.lenovo.com) website” at https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid100779-how-to-update-system-bios

1 Like

I have the binaries with me but what i have created in bigfix is giving me exit codes and is not running anything

Can you provide the full actionscript of what you are trying with the root server redacted from the prefetch if applicable?

Also, have you tried installing the firmware on the commandline by hand? You first need to be able to install it through the commandline without any interaction. Once you can do that, it should be straightforward to do the same through BigFix.

See this related post: BIOS Updates & Configuration using BigFix

Thanks for tagging me.

I have automatically generated but mostly untested Dell BIOS Update fixlets here: bigfix-content/fixlet/BIOS/Dell at main · jgstew/bigfix-content · GitHub

One major issue with testing these is that I can only really test with the models I have, which is generally like, 2 or 3 models. And in the case of Lenovo, I don’t have any on hand. On top of that, the process of rolling back a BIOS update in order to retest it over again is kind of annoying, and sometimes impossible.

I have just used -S with exe and nothing else. I have not added anything else