FillDB Unexpected Exception "NotANumeral"

(imported topic written by jgraham91)

As of last night, our FillDB appears to be filling the bufferdir and log, causing clients not to be able to update their data.

We’re getting a constant stream of errors similar to:

Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:33:20 +0000 – Unexpected exception encountered parsing file C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\FillDBData\bufferdir\0000000000000B95; discarding: class NotANumeral

I’ve tried clearing out the buffer and restarting the FillDB service, but we’re still receiving the same.

Any suggestions?

I’m guessing there’s some sort of corruption, but I’m not sure where it would be.

(imported comment written by jgraham91)

Further to this, it appears, at around the same time we’ve encountered the issues, we had the following in GatherDB:

Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:13:42 +0000 – Beginning import of version 44 of site ‘BES Power Management’ from http://bssnt3.bssgroup.com:52311/besgathermirror?listnew=1&url=http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/bespowermanagement.

Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:14:17 +0000 – URL: http://sync.bigfix.com/cgi-bin/bfgather/besinventory – Gather download failed. (500)

We just enabled the Power Management on a good number of new machines. I can’t help but think the two may be related.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey jgraham,

Can you tell us what version of BES are you running? Is it 7.0.1.376?

Ben

Hey jgraham,

We think we might understand the issue and we think that we can fix it… Can you please confirm that you are using 7.0.1.376 and that your issue no longer is occurring?

Even though this issue is gone, 7.0.1 has a number of known issues and it would be a good idea to upgrade to a later point version whenever possible.

Thanks,

Ben

You are quite right, we’re on 7.0.1.376, and the problem does appear to be resolved, now.

I’ll be planning an upgrade of the BES server as soon as possible.

Thank you for looking into this for us. Good to know you’re still around!

Harder to harass you from England than it was while I was in the US at Federal-Mogul, though.

Hey Josh,

It is always good to see BigFix Admins moving to other companies to continue their careers… It is fun for some of us old-time BigFixers to check the job listings in various places and see people posting resumes or job postings with BigFix experience.

Ben

I certainly didn’t expect to find a job where I’d be using BigFix again, but have no complaints.

New country, new job, same great tool. Good to see you folks are getting exposure.

(imported comment written by Steve91)

Hi Chaps

Was there a solution to this?

We’re getting very similar errors in FillDB (constantly) and have been for a while:

Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:53:00 +0000 – Encountered at least one error while processing archive file D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\FillDBData\bufferdir\00000000000e5d5e in buffer; the archive was processed, but at least one part of it was discarded.

Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:54:31 +0000 – Chunk of compressed file in buffer included non-numeral where numeral was expected; discarding chunk. (class NotANumeral)

We’re running 7.1.1.315 Server & Console, 7.1.7.7 Relays and 7.0.7.96 clients

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve,

If you have one of your agents that has gone crazy, it might be posting malformed results, which could lead to this error. I think this could occur if your NIC card has some bizarre issues (and it certainly could be possible if there is some sort of agent bug).

If you want, you can work with support to capture some of your reports and then our developers can try to isolate the problematic results.

Ben