Debian 8 patch support

Hi All,

I was looking around and cannot find the answer to this. I have the Debian 7 site, but there is nothing for 8. Is 8 not going to be supported?

Thanks

Martin

1 Like

Any thoughts from anyone? Given that 9 is out, I am wondering if Debian is being dropped.

I found there is a RFE from 2015 that is in “uncommitted candidate” status

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=39690

Would be nice to get further information on this. Like you said, skip 8 even and go to 9 if they have to.

1 Like

For Debian OS, Bigfix Patch only covers Debian 7.

Please open an RFE for Debian 8 and Debian 9, product management will prioritize them accordingly.

1 Like

There is already a RFE opened as I mentioned in my above comment. I was last updated 2015, so not sure what is happening with it.

2 Likes

Looks like the RFE from 2013 was closed this July (13th, to be exact) with a status of “Uncommitted Candidate”.

It would be extremely beneficial to get feedback from IBM on this; we are currently using BigFix as the main patching tool for RHEL and CentOS, and we would like to include Debian and Ubuntu in this process as well.

Currently, we are obviously missing content from IBM to be able to do so, which is a little strange considering the other rather esoteric distributions currently supported (AIX, ESXi, HP-UX, and Oracle Linux, anyone?).

Ubuntu is definitely there, although it is missing the latest 18.04 version that was released a couple of months ago.

For sure, Ubuntu 16.04 is supported. I should have specified “latest versions of Debian and Ubuntu”.

Patches for Ubuntu 18.04 are in plan, but additional Debian versions are not due to limited customer demand. You can, of course, still use BigFix to execute apt-get commands to patch Debian without the patch fixlets.

3 Likes

Noted, thanks for the info, Steve, much appreciated.