Recently noticed it seems my BigFix database has gotten out of control.
Its data file is currently 156GB, for about 230 clients.I seem to remember this database only being about 10GB or less earlier this year, not sure what is causing the huge growth.
Looking at the database tables, it seems I have 2 tables in particular taking up all the space.
“EXTERNAL_OBJECT_DEFS”, and “BLOBFIELDS”. Together they represent 98% of the space being used.
In looking at the EXTERNAL_OBJECT_DEFS table, I found that the vast majority of the records have a “Sitename” that starts with “Enterprise Security__xxxx” with “xxxx” being some number. There are roughly 13000 - 14000 records per sitename, with about 230 unique sitenames that start with this. The BLOBFIELDS table as well shows these “Enterprise Security” sitenames.
I have ran all the admin tool cleanups, as well as having tried to shrink the database. This got me a couple GB’s back only.
Ok it seems the number at the end of “Enterprise Security” refers to the version number. And this sitename is actually “Patches for Windows”. So its the current version of this site. Which apparently from what I’m seeing I’m a few hundred versions behind for some reason…
Ok I figured this one out today. To make a long story short I had the “Patches for Windows” site enabled. At some point in the past several months/years ago the import process for this site started failing possibly due to database corruption. However it was getting far enough along to at least partially import the new data and take up space in the database. But since the process was not able to finish it was not doing any sort of cleanup on prior imports.
I was able to disable the site and BigFix then automatically deleted all related records.
Fixed the database consistency issues, shrunk it back down to size, re-indexed, etc… and re-enabled the site. After which it imported without any further issue.