Custom Site Subscription Impact

I’m wondering what the impact would be to have an endpoint subscribed to multiple custom sites. Currently, i have all assets in 1 custom site. I’m giving some thought to breaking it out as 5 groups within the organization are basically treated as different customers. So each endpoint would be subscribed to the “All Assets” custom site and then HR assets (for example) would be subscribed to the “All Assets” and “HR” custom sites. Baselines and content would all reside in their respective custom site. Does this approach make sense? Would i need the “All Assets” custom site? So many different options with sites and groups. I would like to hear some opinions on what other are doing.

Thanks!

1 Like

I do recommend this approach, it will make things more efficient so that systems that don’t need to know about certain content won’t have to deal with it at all.

It does also make sense to have an “All” or “Shared” custom site for the things that are mostly common to all. You would not be gaining efficiency by having the same content in multiple non-overlapping custom sites. It is best to put it at a shared level.

If you have a lot of shared content, you might consider further breaking it down by OS as well, so you might have:

• All
  • All/Windows
  • All/Mac
  • All/Linux

If you have a lot of content for particular manufacturer, then you might also have something like:

• All/Lenovo
  • All/Apple
  • All/Dell

Really any time you have a large enough body of content that can be grouped together in such a way as to exclude most non-relevant endpoints from it in an easy way, then it makes sense to do.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply @jgstew. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks again!

1 Like

We have more custom sites than we have external sites. Our custom sites are more or less organized according to the content contained within them, like tools installation, ID management, maintenance tasks, our own custom security checks, and these can be further divided by OS type. We use a custom property to assign servers to their associated customer, which allows us to filter reports by customer easily enough. This method works if all of your customers are basically using the same content.