Custom Fixlet To Push Desired Fields Ubuntu Linux

Need help with Relevance Language. I am trying to create a custom fixlet that will modify the fields reported from BESclient settings into specific fields. (location by IP, Area by IP). Example: Device may have used wrong installer and BESclient setting placed the machine in wrong environment. Would need a fixlet that will modify this and change this on the endpoint to point to the correct OU environment.

You’ll need to provide a lot more detail than that.

“Location by IP” and “Area by IP” are not default properties, those are something that is added in your deployment. How are those determined? Are they keyed off of the clients IP address? If so then you need a Task to change the client’s IP address, wouldn’t you?

Are these just “Client Settings”? Do you need a Task to update a Client Setting? You should find some of those in the BES Support site.

1 Like

Ok that was an example so here is the situation. I am trying to display a custom property in BigFix to display McAfee DAT version. The command “/opt/NAI/LinuxShiled/bin/nails --version” to display this command. The current action script that I am using is :// get the BESClient’s env
wait bash -c “env > /tmp/besenv”

delete __appendfile

// create a file with shell script commands using the “appendfile” action, for instance find the McAfee vse dat version, then output a file with results
appendfile #!/bin/sh
appendfile /opt/NAI/LinuxShield/bin/nails -v | sed “s/Virus definition files //g” | sed -sn 2p > /root/vsedat

// rename the script
move __appendfile vsedatscript

// give permissions to run the script
run chmod +x vsedatscript

// run the script
wait bash -c /var/opt/BESClient/__BESData/CustomSite_Linux/vsedatscript

// remove the script
wait rm -f /var/opt/BESClient/__BESData/CustomSite_Linux/vsedatscript

Is there a way to output the DAT data without the file creation?

That’ll depend on whether you can determine the dat file version without executing a command.

Is there anything to the dat file naming convention, modification time, is there a .INI file you can read or something along those lines?

If the only way to tell is by executing a command and grabbing the output, then it looks like you’re doing it the right way.

Well it indeed works that way. What I’m trying to do is find a way to read and output the data without creating another file for BigFix to read it. Basically, I don’t want to execute the command every time. BigFix is going to query this information every 6 hours. I have multiple endpoints. With that said less overhead is needed to keep the communication short for network health.