Cross Platform NIC Information using Inspectors

Does anyone have a way of getting NIC information on cross platform devices?

I’m specifically looking for:

NIC Vendor
NIC Model
Driver / Firmware version

I can see there are a few ways to gather some of it using the Network Adapter inspector but it wouldn’t give me all I need and it’s also not cross platform for all parts.

I also considered using WMI for the Windows part but I don’t think that would give the Driver / Firmware version.

ETHTOOL on Linux might help but I’d need to output that to a file and then retrieve via analysis which I’m not adverse to doing, just trying to see if there is a way I can direct query using inspectors rather than deploying scripts and running them

On the Linux side, I did something similar once parsing the kernel process tables at /var/proc… I think that was in context of HP SSD or RAID firmware info, let me see what I can find but that’s at least one avenue you can explore too.

It all just shows up as files there, many of them readable text files

1 Like

Got it for Unix but had to write it in a .sh to get what we needed - couldn’t see any inspector way of getting it - now just need to get the Windows one sorted which I think might need a ps1 to get it.

### Get Interface, IP, Subnet, MTU, Duplex and Speed, Driver, Version & FW Version ###
for i in $(/usr/sbin/ip a | awk -F: '/mtu/ {print $2}' | grep -v " lo")
 do echo -e "Interface: $i ..."
	echo -e "IP/Subnet: \c"; /usr/sbin/ip a s dev $i | awk '/inet/ {print $2}' &&
	echo -e "MTU: \c"; /usr/sbin/ip a s dev $i | awk '/mtu/ {print $5}' &&
	echo -e "MACADDR: \c" ; /usr/sbin/ip a s dev $i | awk '/link/ {print $2}' &&
	/usr/sbin/ethtool $i | awk '/Speed/ || /Duplex/' | tr -d '\11' &&
	/usr/sbin/ethtool -i $i | head -3 ; echo -e ""
done  > /var/tmp/sdnetipdata.out