Content Modification: ESU Patching Add-on for Windows 7 published 2021-07-07

Content in the ESU Patching Add-on for Windows 7 site has been added:
MS21-JUL: Security Only Quality Update - Security Only - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004951 (x64)
MS21-JUL: Security Only Quality Update - Security Only - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004951
MS21-JUL: Security Only Quality Update - Security Only - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004951 (x64) (Unentitled)
MS21-JUL: Security Only Quality Update - Security Only - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004951 (Unentitled)
MS21-JUL: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004953 (x64)
MS21-JUL: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004953
MS21-JUL: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004953 (x64) (Unentitled)
MS21-JUL: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5004953 (Unentitled)

Content in the ESU Patching Add-on for Windows 7 site has been superseded:
MS21-JUN: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5003667 (x64) (Superseded)
MS21-JUN: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5003667 (Superseded)
MS21-JUN: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5003667 (x64) (Unentitled) (Superseded)
MS21-JUN: Security Monthly Quality Rollup - Monthly Rollup - Windows 7 SP1 - KB5003667 (Unentitled) (Superseded)

Reason for Update:
Microsoft released out-of-band Extended Support Updates for Windows 7 to mitigate the zero-day “PrintNightmare” vulnerability on July 6th.

Actions to Take:
Sync any baselines you may have created with the superseded content.

Published site version:
ESU Patching Add-on for Windows 7, version 44

Additional links:
None

Application Engineering Team
BigFix

How do I get access to the “Unentitled” actions when I am not subscribed to the ESU Patching Add-on for Windows 7 site? I dont see this site available as part of the lifecycle management and would assume it only appears if we have the ESU patching purchased

There are two aspects to applying the ESU patches.

Firstly, you need an agreement with Microsoft that licenses your clients to install ESU patches. Without the license the patch won’t install, even manually.

Secondly, to access the Bigfix fixlets for the ESU patches you need to have them added to your Bigfix license.

The “unentitled” fixlets only become relevant on clients that do not have the relevant ESU license activated. They are the Canary in the coalmine that alert you to clients that need other remedial action to get them into a state where they will patch.

If you don’t have Bigfix ESU entitlement you won’t have the external ESU site(s) and won’t see the content.

1 Like

Thanks, my team initially was under the assumption from talking to Microsoft that this was a patch available to anyone running Win7, not just the ESU machines. It appears they were incorrect.

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.