Console not connecting in replicated environment

We recently did a Disaster Recovery test, and in our environment, our entire AD structure and most of our important servers, including the main BigFix Server and primary relay, are virtual and replicated inside the DR test environment. For the testing, the environment did not have our Proxy enabled, and had no access to the internet.

Obviously I knew that none of the sites would connect, but the goal was just to ensure that the server’s would function correctly for the test and could perform their normal tasks (in a real DR situation of course the Proxy would be enabled).

However, I could not get the BigFix console to connect to the BigFix server at all. I continually got an error saying that my credentials were incorrect, but when I checked the Windows error log the error I got from it was

Failed to get winhttp proxy

I tried to connect by disabling the proxy altogether, but that didn’t work either.

I’ve run the BigFix Diagnostics tool, and all the checks are green except for “Verifying that Server can reach the Internet, using the proxy if configured” - which is to be expected. I know that we have to have port 80 open for the BigFix server… but this has kind of thrown me for a loop: will the console simply not make a connection to the BigFix server unless it has proxy / internet access?

Are your operators local or LDAP?

You should have a local Abmin user (it gets created when you first install the server) so can you log in with that?

Then check the LDAP connections work.

1 Like

All of our Operators are LDAP.

I didn’t even think of trying the local Admin user - when I do that I can get into the console, yes. I then set up an LDAP connection to the DR AD server, which seemed to test fine. But when I try to log into the console after doing all that with an account in the DR LDAP, I’m still getting an “incorrect login or password” error, even though I’m connected to the VM using the same credentials. It’s still acting like it can’t communicate with the LDAP server.