Clients not able to PXE, OSD relay and clients are on same subnet

Hello, I am having PXE issues all of the sudden. I have 4 relays that do not use DHCP for PXE. We just have the OSD relays setup on the same subnet that the clients will pxe. This has been working for years now and then all of the sudden it stopped. I have talked to our networking team and “of course” they didnt change anything. I cant seem to find the missing piece here. I have no errors in the OSD dashboard, everything looks good from the console end. Verified firewalls, rebooted relays as well, any suggestions ? Do I just need to setup DHCP and be done lol

A screenshot of the PXE error message on the client may help.

The main things to check are, I think,

• Bare Metal Server service is running
  • Windows Firewall or other host-based firewall on the OSD server is not blocking connections
  • Client is not getting conflicting DHCP options. I.E. if the DHCP admins added something like bootp for IP Phones they may be sending you PXE client options that break the broadcast discovery. PXE client won’t attempt the broadcast discovery if DHCP tells them otherwise.
1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. Thats the problem the machines dont really error, you have the option to select IPV4 once you select that, it then immediately goes back to the F12 menu

Bare Metal service is running

double checked firewalls as well

i will triple check with our networking to verify nothing was added

A cooperative LAN engineer could mirror the client port and do a packet capture to let you diagnose what’s happening. You might be able to do the same if you loaded a VM on the client used the host OS to capture with WireShark.

I often like to keep a VM hosted directly on the OSD server so I can see traffic that way.

1 Like

thanks , im going to give that a try !! I will update once i found the issue. appreciate the help!