Client installation error - general transport failure

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hi,

I am having a problem with one workstation on our network. It has the client version 7.2.5.22 installed but it is not being shown in the console. In the log file on the workstation I have these items (I have removed the server name):

October 29, 2010

At 07:36:52 -0400 -

Starting client version 7.2.5.22

At 07:36:54 -0400 -

FIPS mode disabled by default.

Restricted mode

Action site masthead keys are not compatible, starting client reset

At 07:36:57 -0400 -

RegisterOnce: Attempting to register with ‘http://servername:52311/cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe?RequestType=RegisterMe&ClientVersion=7.2.5.22&Body=0&SequenceNumber=0&MinRelayVersion=6.0.0.0&CanHandleMVPings=1&Root=http://servername:52311&AdapterInfo=00-1e-ec-a8-6f-aa_199.140.89.0%2F25_199.140.89.72_0&AdapterInfo=00-21-00-3d-0c-bc_0.0.0.0%2F0_0.0.0.0_0

At 07:36:58 -0400 -

RegisterOnce: GetURL failed - General transport failure. - winsock error -8

The workstation can ping the server by name, and from the workstation I can get to the login screen for BES Web Reports. Other workstations in the same location are shown in the console, and I have tried removing and reinstalling the client, if there are any other ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey Jeff,

What if you paste this url into the browser of the computer?

http://servername:52311/cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe

Ben

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

I will need to have someone try it on the computer and let me know, since they are located in another location. When I try it on my own workstation that is working I received this in my browser:

Error: no query parameters specified – unknown request type

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

That means that you can reach the server… Is there maybe a proxy issue between you and the server?

Ben

Ben,

I am located in a different location than the computer I am troubleshooting, but there are multiple computers that are working correctly at the same location as the one that is not, so I have been trying to troubleshoot the workstation.

One thing I tried after uninstalling the client is to delete the folder C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise, and delete references to BigFix that I could find in the registry, before reinstalling the client that is not working still.

Thanks,

Jeff

For the computer that is not in the console, the URL returns an error that Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. However, a computer in the very next cube also has that error but it is in the console and receiving patches, so now I am really confused. Both computers can also get to a login screen for BES Web Reports.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

It sounds like you have found the problem and it has something to do with the network (maybe check the DNS server and/or the hosts file?)…

Ben

We ran the BES Client diagnostics program on the computer and found this entry near the top of the diagnostics.log file:

======= Masthead parameters ===========

• BES Server: (name removed)

• Port: 52311

• License allocation: 20000

• Expires: 31 Dec 2037 00:00:00 GMT

• (9904 days left until expiration)

• Serial Number: xxxxx

• Actionsite gather frequency: Day

======= Checking Global Options ===========

• ComputerID: 0

• WARNING: BES Client is not REGISTERED! It likely cannot connect to the BES Server.

• LicenseID: 0 (out of )

• Number of registrations: 1

• Number of submissions to server: 0

We have already reinstalled the client from the same location that has been used for other installations, and it is seeing the server in the Masthead parameters section. We may reimage the computer since we have not been able to determine what else may be incorrect on it.

Thanks,

Jeff