Change DNS BigFix

I want to change the DNS of my BigFix Server. As I can’t change it in setting, I plan to changing my masthead. But before doing that I want to confirm something.
I suppose, What I would do is:

• Creating masthead on different machine, using the same LicenseAuthorization.BESLicenseAuthorization file I use on old machine.
  • Change the masthead I got from the new machine into the old machine.

Is such thing possible? Will the license works just fine? or is there a better way to do it?

Note: I don’t mind having everything from 0 again as long as the license safe.

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean you want to change the name of the Bigfix server and update the masthead to the new name?

I think you will break everything because as soon as the masthead changes the clients will stop talking to the server.

yes, my client want to customize the bigfix server name, and it’s not production yet. so it’s okay

This is outside of my direct experience, but I still think you’ll break everything, however little that is, and if it isn’t much to break you may be better to just bite the bullet and reinstall using the correct masthead.
Hopefully someone better qualified to comment will be along soon…

Once you have installed the server, you have locked in the name of the machine permanently. You would need a reinstall but I am not sure of the level of the reinstall that you would need. Installing from masthead wouldn’t work as the masthead says the name so you may need to start over.

This is a fairly fundamental part of the security of the deployment to prevent your endpoints from being pointed at another server so it is not changable after install.

Would it work if they were to rename the server, but keep a DNS alias for the original deployment hostname? I would expect that to work based on my experiences with DSA, where half my deplyoment cannot reach or resolve the root server’s name, but can reach a DSA server only.