Catalog Version

Hello friends

I need your support to help me with the version problem of the software catalog.

Indeed I am with a customer who uses the following versions:

BES 9.5.9
BFI 10.0.1

Upgrade projects are planned for 2022.

The problem is that on BES I see that the ENDPOINTS have the version 2638564.1 of the catalog, the version 2638648 on BFI, which generates an alert on the BFI dashboard. On BES, I see that the installation fixlet for version 10.0.6 of the catalog is available but it is grey. I have made a copy of this fixlet and I have removed all the pertinancs, it installs but I see that the test client still has the old version.

My question is, is the fact of having an old version on the endpoints and the new version on BFI does not allow me to take advantage of the scan of the products announced for the last version as Oracle19.
Is there any other way to force the installation of the new catalog on all endpoints

Thank you for your feedback

Hi,
Please check the following link for troubleshooting some of the catalog issues.
https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/inventory/Inventory/probdet/r_catalog_problems.html?hl=verifying%2Ccurrent%2Cversion%2Csoftware%2Ccatalog

When a Catalog is updated in BFI, a catalog download task is submitted (automatically by default) to BigFix which can be seen from All Actions. Has this been disabled (from BFI -> Management -> Advanced Server Settings)?

If not then check in the BigFix Console to see if the Catalog Download action was submitted and it’s status. Once the catalog has been downloaded to the endpoints, the “Software Scan Status” analysis will return the catalog version for each endpoint and will be imported into BFI.

Hi

Thanks for the answer. What you said is right. The most important thing is that there is no relation between the scanner version and the BFI or BigFix version.
Even if old versions are installed I have the latest version of the catalog

Good news

Hi

Always in relation to the software discovery. Is there a solution to detect new software and components installed. We have several new releases per week and we wanted to find a solution to industrialize the update of the catalog.
The fact of updating the catalog manually after each production run is very constraining
This problem occurs especially for new Java applications (WAR) deployed on IBM WebSpher for example

Thank you for a solution proposal

Hi,
The new software discovery and catalog update process depends on many factors.

When you say “several new releases per week”:
Are these updates to generally available software?
Are these updates to custom software?
Are the updates changes to minor versions or major versions?

If the changes are to minor versions such as fixpack 1 for version 1.1 or 1.2 etc, and you are interested to track only the main versions (like 1.1, 1.2 etc) then the signatures can be generic enough to detect the major versions.

Most of the new software (especially IBM software) is released with swidtags and BFI automatically detects the swidtags during scan.

If you are tracking custom software then you can explore option to create swidtags and keep them updated with new releases

1 Like