Cannot Create Bare Metal Profiles

Hi,

Has anyone encountered issues like this Creating Bare Metal Profiles?

Somehow, I have gotten into a situation in which I can no longer create Bare Metal Profiles for a SLES12 SP2 image. Initially, I was able to create a basic profile. Then, I tried creating another profile with more elaborate XML. On saving, the profile was not visibility created (did not appear in the console even after refreshing) and the existing profile appeared to be removed (was no longer displayed in the console). When I tried creating new profiles with the same names, an error was returned that the profiles already existed.

The profiles still seem to exist in some state. Questions:

1. How to troubleshoot, where would problems be logged?
  2. Is it possible to clean up/remove the profiles? I tried deleting/re-importing the image, but the profiles still exist.
  3. How can the XML code could cause this behaviour (I successfully created a SLES11 SP3 profile with similar/more extensive XML code).

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
you can not create two bare metal profiles with the same name, behavior is expected. You should change name to workaround the problem.

1. To answer to your question, some manual cleaning of the datastore is needed. To do that, I strongly recommend you to open a PMR to get official IBM support. Support guys will help you.
  2. You should open the Bare Metal Server dashboard and check if the phantom profile appears linked to a bare metal server (when you select a bare metal server, bottom half of dashboard shows bare metal profiles sent to it); I mean if you sent the basic profile to bare metal servers, you can visualize them also from that dashboard and try to remove them.
  3. If you are referring to the autoyast.xml linked to profile, it does not matter with your errors, as far as I know.

I hope this helps, regards

All valid points. But before messing with the datastore, I’d make sure to purge your console cache first in case there’s a problem with your console rather than the server. It happens.

I don’t recall exactly where it is, but there’s an options page in the File menu of the console to clear the local cache on relaunch.

From BigFix Console, open File -> Preferences and then the click Clear Cache button. Hence restart console

Thanks for the responses.

• I cleared cache/restarted the console…still can’t create profiles on this image.
  • There are no profiles displayed in the Server Management UI.
  • Yes, the autoyast.xml linked to the profile. It doesn’t make sense all my problems started trying to create a profile with this xml…

Time to open a PMR!

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
ghost profiles should be checked in Bare Metal Server Manager dashboard in OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging site. I’m guessing if you meant same thing with “Server Management UI”.

Hi Michele, yes. That’s what I meant.