Can you query custom properties?

written by IanR2974

Hello,

I have created an analysis which retrieves a number of custom properties. I would now like to be able to reference these properties in relevance so that i can group these computes using relevance in an automatic group. Is that possible?

I know this is possible in session relevance, however couldn’t get the session relevance to work in automatic groups i think its not supported.

Any help here would be great.

Thanks,

Ian

written by jgstew

I do not believe it is possible to use a custom property in the relevance of an automatic group. I think this is on purpose to prevent circular logic problems.

You need to take the relevance of the property, convert it into a true/false statement if it is not already to find what you are looking for, and then put the whole thing in the relevance of the automatic group.

written by IanR2974

Hi,

Thanks for the reponse. I thought this maybe the case. I have already put the relevance from the analysis into the automatic group and converted it to true/false type query. It is working fine.

Really wanted to see if i could make this process more efficient as in this case its a big piece of relevance. I also can see other areas where querying custom properties would be very useful.

Thanks,

Ian

written by jgstew

One option is to set a client setting with the results of a relevance evaluation, then in the property / Automatic group, check the value in that setting first, and only if that setting does not exist do the full relevance evaluation. To see an example of this, look at the “_BESClient_ComputerType” setting, the “Computer Type” property, and the “Optimize Client Relevance Evaluation” fixlet. I believe these are all found in the “Power Management” site.

Another option is to have an automatic group that’s membership is determined by a client setting value. I do this for “Software Usage Analysis”. I have created an automatic group that looks for a client setting called “Software Usage Analysis” set to TRUE. I then created a task that will set this setting to TRUE and “opt-in” the client machine to “Software Usage Analysis”. I then have the installers, scanners, uploaders, and other tasks related to SUA targeted at this automatic group. This allows any console operator to control which clients they manage end up in this group so that they can control which clients end up in SUA without having to manage how SUA works on their own.

written by IanR2974

thanks for your help here. I think we will end up going down the tagging route also as will solve alot of the issues we are having.

Thanks