Can we track OS Deployment on the computer initiated by BigFix Bare Metal imaging?

I want to track if the OS deployment that was initiated by BigFix task is completed on the target through bigfix way i.e. either by relevance or API.

When we deploy profile on the target, the BigFix task’s action changes to Complete in couple of minutes, however, the OS installation keeps running on the target.

Is there a way I can track this from Bigfix?

In the Activity Dashboard you can check when your Bare Metal deployment completes.
After the target installation completes, you will find the related activity status.

Thank you for the response.

Is there a way where we can retrieve this by APIs?

I think that you should be able to retrieve these info via Rest API.

The following one should help you:
https://< bigfix_ip >:52311/api/dashboardvariable/OSD_DataStore.ojo/OSD_Server_Hst_< ActivityID >

ie:
https://XX.XX.XX.XX:52311/api/dashboardvariable/OSD_DataStore.ojo/OSD_Server_Hst_178349461
to get the info of the activity id 178349461

Activity dashboard reads data from datastore variables.

hope this helps

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much!

Hi Vtripodi,

Tue, 04 Jul 2023 03:06:18 PM 10.201.82.54 Bhopal-Test-Image In Progress

why it was showing as in progress , help me

That’s not much information from which we could draw a conclusion.
Was the task in progress?

Hi.
Could you please send a screenshot of the entire entry?
Is it a bare metal deployment? A reimage deployment?
This is needed to know where to verify if the task is reported as in progress and to understand where to check the real status of the task.
Thanks.

Hello.
this is a bare metal deployment and this information is coming from analysis 50 of OSD site (analysis “OS Deployment Server information” -> property “Server Activity information”) running on the bare metal server computer. It could be that this value is not being updated (is the bigfix client on the bare metal server computer correctly reporting?) or that the bare metal server actually sees it as not completed yet.
If you checked that the bigfix client is correctly reporting (Last report time) I suggest to open a case to support team to analyze other possibilities (e.g. property in error, task “ongoing” on the bare metal server) because a deeper investigation could be needed.
Thanks.
Sergio
BigFix OSD support team

1 Like