Building new Instance + OSD; Getting Error

We’ve got our new Bigfix instance built out;
However, after successfully passing all health checks within OSD; we try to import a WIM or ISO, and we’re getting errors:
This is what it says in the log:sa
Command error: Cannot change disk protected area, No proper installation (local://temp/tpm_11774FAC3220547D_1/Windows)
[2019/01/28 13:24:28:404]
Error raised by GetVistaState in utils.rbc, line 6232 [:0]
[2019/01/28 13:24:28:404]
RbAgent command rad-temmksetup has failed [AGT:4403]

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Hi,
could you please try to run the console with the option “run as Administrator”? Right click on the console icon and select “Run as administrator”.
If still an error occurs, could you please send the entire “rbagent.trc” log in the folder %userprofile%\OSDeployment?
Thanks.
Sergio Tarchi

You’re the third person I’ve heard from with this message in as many days.

One person had it when generating MDT bundles. Workaround was to not include OS resources in the bundle.

Another found he had a corrupt media download. He downloaded a new ISO image and it worked ok.

What version of OS media/image are you using? Is it Win10 1809?

1 Like

Were you ever able to resolve this?

I ended up getting an 1809 image to upload to the console after having much of the same issues. I ended up doing two things and not sure which of the two corrected the issue.

I generated a new WIM file from the install.wim containing only the Win10 1809 Enterprise edition, and I ran the BES Console as Administrator. I’ll do some more testing when this upload completes to determine which item fixed it for me. Also note the WIM file must be on a writable area, based on how the console generates the .driverinfo file in the same path as the WIM - if you are mounting an ISO image containing the WIM, you’ll need to copy the \sources\install.wim into a writable path first.

To generate a .WIM file containing only Enterprise edition, I ran the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:e:\sources\install.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17134.1

Details for image : e:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
Name : Windows 10 Education
Description : Windows 10 Education
Size : 14,681,637,861 bytes

Index : 2
Name : Windows 10 Education N
Description : Windows 10 Education N
Size : 13,856,676,333 bytes

Index : 3
Name : Windows 10 Enterprise
Description : Windows 10 Enterprise
Size : 14,681,708,607 bytes

Index : 4
Name : Windows 10 Enterprise N
Description : Windows 10 Enterprise N
Size : 13,856,569,860 bytes

Index : 5
Name : Windows 10 Pro
Description : Windows 10 Pro
Size : 14,680,406,338 bytes

Index : 6
Name : Windows 10 Pro N
Description : Windows 10 Pro N
Size : 13,855,301,121 bytes

Index : 7
Name : Windows 10 Pro Education
Description : Windows 10 Pro Education
Size : 14,681,567,623 bytes

Index : 8
Name : Windows 10 Pro Education N
Description : Windows 10 Pro Education N
Size : 13,856,605,195 bytes

Index : 9
Name : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Description : Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Size : 14,681,602,508 bytes

Index : 10
Name : Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations
Description : Windows 10 Pro N for Workstations
Size : 13,856,640,530 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

(note that Enterprise edition is index 3)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /export-image /sourceimagefile:e:\sources\install.wim /sourceindex:3 /destinationimagefile:d:\temp\win10_1809_ent.wim /compress:max /checkintegrity

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17134.1

Exporting image
[==========================100.0%==========================]
The operation completed successfully.

Then, with the Console running elevated (“Run as Administrator”), I was able to import the new WIM file containing only Enterprise edition.

Some handy things to note for troubleshooting is that in the background, the console is running

"C:\Users\<username>\OSDeployment\rbagent64.exe" -o osdtools-extractwimdrivers "D:\temp\win10_1809_ent.wim" "D:\temp\win10_1809_ent.driverinfo"

You can run that command manually in an elevated prompt to see the output, which might be useful in troubleshooting.
Also, whether run from the command line or from the console, a log file is output at
"C:\Users\<username>\OSDeployment\rbagent.log"

Using “Run as Administrator” for the console seems to have done it. With the original sources\install.wim copied onto a writable drive, and the console using “Run as Administrator”, I was able to upload the image from the Console.

I don’t think this is a great workaround, in many cases we don’t grant Admin rights to the workstation where users are running the console, but it’s at least something you can try if that’s an option for you.