BIOS Updating Settings

Hey all,

I’m currently trying to configure a few different things on the BIOS in our environment which is primarily Dell machines.

What I’ve done so far:

-Pushed out CCTK to the test machine

-Pushed out the following settings:

waithidden cmd /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64\cctk.exe" --setuppwd=(thepassword) -l=C:\windows\temp\cctk_log.txt

waithidden cmd /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64\cctk.exe" --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=(thepassword) -l=C:\windows\temp\cctk_log.txt

waithidden cmd /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64\cctk.exe" --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=(thepassword) -l=C:\windows\temp\cctk_log.txt

waithidden cmd /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Command Configure\X86_64\cctk.exe" --admsetuplockout=enable --valsetuppwd=(thepassword) -l=C:\windows\temp\cctk_log.txt

What I’ve found is that it will change those settings successfully, but BigFix always reports the fixlet as failed. The cctk_log that gets generated shows the settings were changed successfully as well.

Questions:
Is my process best practice or can I do this more efficiently?
Why is BigFix reporting this as “Failed” when everything is showing as completed and the changes are made successfully?

check the success criteria of the fixlet,for more https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSQL82_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.doc/Platform/Console/Dialogs/success_criteria_tab.html

This sounds like you don’t have the correct success criteria or relevance to determine success / failure or both.

There are 2 options for Dell Command Configure Relevance. One is to install Dell Command Monitor on all systems that you are going to do this on and use it to query the values. Another is to run a Dell Command Configure “Probe” that will output the current config on a regular basis, then run a config task that makes the changes but then immediately runs the probe again to update the state so that it reflects the just made change.

@strawgate and myself have many examples on GitHub.com and BigFIx.me to do various things with all of the Dell Command tools through BigFix.

Examples:

Thanks. I knew about being able to change success criteria while actioning the fixlet, but just found the custom success criteria portion in the fixlet itself. It now outputs as successful with Exit Code 0.

I’ll have to do some testing with the links you sent me. There are only around 100 Dell machines in our environment, but if I can get everything streamlined, that would be awesome.

1 Like

The “Dell Command” utilities for the Dell Enterprise machines are very good. They are some of the easiest to automate on the command line, and there is quite a bit of existing BigFix content for the various parts of it all, even to the point of automatically generated content based upon Dell Command Update results.

1 Like