BigFix WebUI update for all WebUI applications

That would be not normal. You may have given incorrect or incompatible information in the fixlet. Check the logs of the WebUI (specifically one called “datasync.log”) and see what it says.

You may need to open a PMR

@AlanM - How would I go about replacing the AutoPatch-Beta and DataSync-Beta WebUI apps with their non-beta replacements?

I’d contact the person who handled the Beta program for you with instructions.

We used to monitor the etl.log in Baretail during starting of the service or in general, just so we could see that during initialization things were still happening. Since that isn’t used any longer, what is the equivilant (if any)? The datasync.log doesn’t seem to be all that active. Or maybe its all been deprecated because there is no ETL process happening and that the info is coming straight from the database?

I upgraded my DEV from 9.5.5 to 9.5.7 a few days ago. This morning, I upgraded my DEV WebUI, a separate server from the BES, to 9.5.7 (it had already had the Update WebUI DB Config fixlet applied a while ago; so it wasn’t using ETL any longer. The fixlet returned Fixed, but the only that that seemed to happened was breaking the WebUI (no longer can get to the WI). There is NO activity on any logs in the WebUI\logs directory. I stopped the WebUI service, which took forever and started; again, not a single log being updated…

As I wrote this, I saw activity on the datasync and service-app log and now the WI is up. This DEV system has less than 5 endpoints and for 30 minutes, I had no indication that anything was happening.

I’m in the same boat. See this thread.

I suspect there may be a missing step relating to WebUI schema in the upgrade process that does work properly in a new install.

I had been reading that. I wasn’t sure what you meant by “splash screen”; the login screen? I get the login screen and can login. I don’t have those errors that you do. The troublesome part is that I’m starting to feel like I have to cross my fingers every time I touch this thing (despite the testing and reading I do on each update).

1 Like

I get the login / splash screen which tells me to wait. That doesn’t even allow me to login. Do you have any WebUI schema errors in your datasync.log? If you look into your database, do you have a WebUI schema? I have some WebUI tables, but no schema. I did the same 9.5.5 to 9.5.7 upgrade that you did. I opened a case this morning for it.

When you were on 9.5.5, did you did the schema update first? The once mentioned in this thread: Deploy/Update WebUI Database Configuration Fixlet (ID 2687)?

I did that first… then I upgraded to 9.5.7 on BES, then I upgraded WebUI to 9.5.7. That was my sequence of events.

I did the opposite order. I had a working 9.5.5 and WebUI configuration. I did the upgrade to 9.5.7, then ran the “Deploy/Update WebUI Database Configuration Fixlet”. That sequence gave me the error “bf:datasync:reset:error Error in reset RequestError: The specified schema name “webui” either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.”

Perhaps that was the issue. I think if you waited for the WebUI 9.5.7 fixlet to be made available and run that you would have been ok. I think the Update WebUI fixlet is for folks not on 9.5.7 yet. I’m unsure but would be nice to know.

1 Like

I agree that the cadence isn’t entirely clear. From my reading of the documentation, the “Deploy/Update WebUI Database Configuration Fixlet” could be run on any version of WebUI 9.5.5 or later. I didn’t see a preferred order of operations.

The Deploy fixlet should only be relevant when you have successfully gathered the schema update so you can’t apply it until your WebUI has been updated anyway.

As long as you have 9.5.5 or later and the Schema update of WebUI you can use that fixlet, or if you install a WebUI Service (if you didn’t have one) it will also activate with DB access.

The WebUI site did gather, so the Deploy/Update fixlet became relevant. The client on the WebUI server was upgraded to 9.5.7 prior to executing the fixlet. Based on what you are saying, it shouldn’t matter if the database configuration was set while still on 9.5.5 or after the upgrade to 9.5.7.

Support asked if the WebUI install requirements were met. My DBA assures me that they are. My service account has full DBO. The gap appears to be a missing WebUI schema. There are three WebUI-related tables, but not a schema per se. It isn’t clear where it ran off the rails.

I presume you have tried restarting the WebUI Service on the machine in question. The system should bring up everything it needs if the permission is correct.

Yes, both the service and the server have been restarted. The logs continue to show the errors I previously mentioned.

I just noticed a new BESAdmin announcement of an update to WebUI. It doesn’t detail any of the fixes. Perhaps I’ll try it again when the new version gathers.

The update mentioned is only to the Profile Management app and not the whole WebUI so only one of the sites will update.

Hey @JonL and @AlexaVonTess

Any updates on either of your issues?

Case remains with L3 support. They suspected DB permissions issues with the service account, but that was not the case. Since it was our dev system, I actually uploaded our database to them. I’ll post a resolution when I get one.

See my update in this thread.