BigFix VMware extender - usage question

Hi there,
I want to create a workflow in BigFix which includes the action create snapshot. I have set-up the VMware extender and tested it successfully. But I find that in order to use BigFix VMware commands like create snapshot in my action I need to have the relevance of “in proxy context”. This means I can’t include in the action normal BigFix action commands alongside BigFix VMware commands as they go to the extender and error.

Does anyone know the right approach for mixing BigFix VMware commands and normal BigFix action commands in a workflow (e.g. baseline or task) which I can run against a computer(s)?

You would actually need two separate actions in order to do that. What you need is referred to as an “Orchestrator” - a process that would issue an action to the Proxy Agent, wait for it to complete, then issue a follow-up action to the native client running under the virtual machine. This is often done by interfacing via the REST API.

If you have a Lifecycle license, you can accomplish this via the Server Automation module - and in fact I think there is a prepackaged example automation plan for doing just that.

Otherwise, you could write the API commands to do it yourself, or hire a third-party or engage with your support team to write something for your case.

Thanks very much for your quick response.

I have tried out a Automation Plan using Server Automation and that does what we want.

I’m now discussing with my team what is the best approach for us to use.

1 Like