ENDED: BigFix User Meetup @ InterConnect 2015

Hello Everyone,

I’d like to start gathering feedback to build andagenda for the Global BigFix User Meetup in Las Vegas during Interconnect 2015.

I have been a primary organizer the last 2 years managing the user group conference with over 120 people from around the world attending last year. We just had a very successful BigFix User meetup in the San Francisco Bay area in November. The last 2 years it has been held on Sunday and I had planned to fly in Saturday evening (time and date has not been confirmed yet but for those making travel and hotel plans please keep this in mind)

Questions I have are:

Q. Will you be attending ? (including IBM people)

Q. What topics would you like to hear about (Platform , upgrades, patching, MDM, server automation, WebUI, etc)

Q. Would you like to present a topic, share a story, share a gripe, share a success? Depending on the response this could be me presenting a summery of topics gathered if you are stage shy or simple open mic where you can get and speak with no slides.
(We griped about the forums for many years since and like the old BigFix one vs developer works and Apple Support many times and now we have a much friendly forum and IBM is paying more attention to treating MAC OS X more equal to Windows, your feedback does make a difference !!)

Q. Would you like to be give feedback to BigFix Developers or Product Managers Directly? We had a really hi rated session on putting the developers of BigfFix in the spot light at the front of the room and ask a series of question to customers on ideas and thoughts of how to proceed with product direction.

Q. Are you going already and planning to present at a Breakout session ? We would like to highlight anyone who maybe presenters to help promote your session and let people to know where BigFix related sessions are taking place.

Q. For those who cannot attend would you be interested in watching a streaming or recorded session?
-feedback from those attending and not attending are welcome as I will see if there are options for recording or streaming the session.

…additional comments, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Stacy Lee
Stanford University

3 Likes

Last year ( it was called Pulse last year ) was my first time attending the IBM Conference, and I will be attending this year as well. I think the BigFix User Meetup was one of the most valuable sessions I attended at the conference because it gave a great overview and a chance to meet the majority of those interested in BigFix at the conference all in one place.

I am interested in the Platform, Patching, Software Distribution, WebUI, REST API, and many other things.

I am interested in presenting at the BigFix User Meetup.

I would like to give feedback to the BigFix Developers / PMs directly. I found this to be valuable last time.

I am presenting a session at the conference: https://www-950.ibm.com/events/global/interconnect/sessions/preview.html?sessionid=CEM-4824

One thing I found difficult with the conference last year is it was hard to know who else at the conference was interested in meeting up and talking about BigFix during the times when there were no BigFix related sessions going on. It would be useful if there was a way to identify yourself as interested in talking BigFix on your conference badge, and having a place designated to have impromptu gatherings to talk about BigFix. I thought there was a lot of value in these random conversations I had, but there were many times I was off on my own wishing there was a central place to meet.

If there were a central place to meet and talk BigFix, there are many things I’d be interested in contributing. I have many mini talks/presentations I could give about how I use BigFix. I could go over many different examples, present some best practices, and ways of creating BigFix content. I’d also be interested in helping to facilitate/lead some informal BigFix Q&A / training on topics interesting those present. I’d also hope that others could contribute in a similar way if possible. Obviously access to a projector would help with some of this, but potentially using a Google Hangout for screen sharing would work too. I think it is difficult to get into the “code” of BigFix content in a significant way during a presentation, but I think this would be a valuable way to do more technical content.

1 Like

I am hoping to attend for the first time. If I do attend, I’ll soak up as much BigFix material as I can.

If InterConnect has a BOF area, perhaps we can get a table there, and use that for unofficial gatherings?

1 Like

I don’t really remember a dedicated area for BOFs or BOFs of any kind from last year. I definitely find the random interactions and conversations to be valuable and the size of the conference makes the unconference part difficult to arrange intentionally.

Pulse was a huge conference, so there is tons and tons of stuff that has very little to do with BigFix and related systems administration. I don’t think this is entirely a bad thing, but it does make it difficult to maximize your time with BigFix related items.

Interconnect sounds like it is going to be even bigger.

1 Like

If you thought Pulse was Huge then Interconnect will be Gigantic. It is 3 IBM conferences put together (Pulse, Impact and Innovate ).
I also saw this year’s music act is Aerosmith !

James - those are some great ideas I will bring up with IBM.

Keep them coming …
-Stacy

1 Like

Seems like these are the details for the Endpoint User Group meeting:

Sunday User Group Meetings

Feb 22, 2015, 1:00:00 PM - Feb 22, 2015, 4:00:00 PM
Mandalay Bay South Conference Center, Level 2

Endpoint User Group Meeting

Share experience with your peers in the Enpoint User Group Meeting. The meeting will include a business meeting and three presentations or panel sessions. All InterConnect attendees are welcome.

Mandalay Bay South Conference Center, Level 2, Reef E

I am very interested in a stream!

Continuing the discussion from BigFix User Meetup @ InterConnect 2015 Feb 22-26:

Actually it would be cool for the IBM DEVs who can’t come but we could setup a live stream to you guys have a similar session from the Bay Area user group where you could ask your questions to the audience and get feedback on your future designs and ideas.
You could setup a stage backdrop and say “Hello Everyone this is Daniel Hwang reporting Live from the BigFix HQ in Emeryville I am here with my fellow Developers and want to talk to you…”

I can’t see it now…you on the big screen 20 feet high !!

3 Likes

Just to chip in that we’ve got our developers in Ireland and Rome too !

I will be attending this year for my first time. I’m interested in hearing about software distribution, REST API, platform, server automation, and maybe a roadmap?

I think it would be great to get some of the developers in the meeting as well.

It’s too bad the meet up is so early. I’ll miss the beginning, since my flight doesn’t get in until almost 1 :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @MattPeterson, looking forward to meeting you at the meetup! We will have several developers there and I think we’ll be covering a lot of what you’re interested in. If we don’t cover something, please find me after the session and I’ll be happy to talk through anything.

1 Like

Hi Stacy (and everyone else) from Florida:

I would very much like to know what the future of Trend Micro is with IEM. There seems to be some ambivalence in some circles about what will happen with this module. Also, will there be any plans to make the standalone Trend-Micro products compatible with IEM?

At this point I’m about 90% sure I will be attending, but I may only be there for a couple of days so I would love to know where the IEM/BigFix people will be so I can maximize my time.

Thanks all
Mike Consuegra

1 Like

Hi Mike

Thanks for suggesting those topics. I will be sure to bring them in the planning meetings.

/Stacy

I’m in! See you all there. I’ll definitely be there for the Sunday UG meeting, and through the Thursday sessions.

1 Like

Do I need to register for this User Group meeting? I see the other ones listed in Session Finder, but can’t seem to find this one.

1 Like

I would be interested in a recording!

You don’t need to register for the user group meeting, just show up.