BigFix Upgrade - 9.5.13 "Concern & Query"

Hello All,

Please help me with below Concern and Queries

1.Is there any Issue while upgrading BigFix from V_9.5.7.90 to V_9.5.13 ?

1. Any known issue which user have encountered during the upgrade to 9.5.13 ?

2. My AD id does not have DB Owner permission to BF Enterprise and BESReporting Instance and As per my understanding ID should have DB Owner permission while performing the upgrade else Upgrade would not be able to perform re-index job and alter tables.
    Out of Curiosity, I deployed IBM BigFix Pre Upgrade Check (V_9.5.13) and all the check were passed successfully.
    But as I don’t have DB permission for BigFix Instance it should fail the last validation.
    I am little confused now and need input if my understanding is correct or wrong.

PREUPGRADE CHECK SUMMARY
Number of tests: 7
All checks successfully passed …
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 16:48:42 -0500
Version: 9.5.13.130

============================================

Check buffer directory.

Check passed …

Check Non ASCII Site Files

Check passed …

Check Long Names For Indexes

Check passed …

Check Lengths in Custom Content

Check passed …

Check Server ID value in database.

Check passed …

Check right permission on model database.

Check passed …

Check right permission on BFEnterprise database.

Check passed …

1. I have determine the database size through the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Is it sufficient space from Database end or any additional space is required to perform upgrade ?

Space

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards,
Manish Singh

Hi,

About your second query V_9.5.7.90 to V_9.5.13 upgraded there is no issue found as we have upgraded last week one of my account, while upgrading we had DB owner permission to complete this task.

Regards,
Shaban

2 Likes

There are no known issues upgrading to 9.5 patch 13.

The check are referring to, i.e. ‘Check right permission on BFEnterprise database.’, is performed on Windows/MSSql only and depending the transaction isolation level already present on the server database, in the specific if it is ‘false’ the result of the following query:

SELECT is_read_committed_snapshot_on FROM sys.databases WHERE name = ‘BFEnterprise’

1 Like

I have provided screenshot from management Studio and below are the drive information for SQL Application
F Drive - Data - 15.5 GB Available
G Drive - backup - 31.3 GB Available
L Drive - log - 20 GB Available
V Drive - TempDB - 9.85 GB Available

Is I am good to perform upgrade or need any additional Space, Please suggest

Windows/MSSql only and depending the transaction isolation level already present on the server database:slightly_smiling_face:

So, if I don’t have Dbowner permission also, this check will pass correct ?
Enterprise

According to https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSQL82_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.doc/Platform/Installation/c_upgrade_remote_db.html , your account will require either SA rights to the SQL instance or db_owner rights to the database.

I specifically know some deployments have had trouble upgrading using Amazon RDS because that service does not grant db_owner rights.

1 Like

Your free space requirements depends on the size of your environment. BigFix documentation states that in a sample test environment with about 20,000 fixlets, the database usage may use an additional 1.5GB of disk space(see the link below). A bigger site would require even more space. A best practice is to first upgrade in an isolated test environment before completing a production upgrade. Then you will know for sure how much space is sufficient.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli+Endpoint+Manager/page/Upgrading+Best+Practices

Client for which I am going to perform upgrade has only prod environment with 1600 servers.
That is the reason I am concern if the existing available space is sufficient or not.

Take full backups first. What’s that bfenterprise_temp database that’s taking 15 GB of your space?

Also, it doesn’t hurt to open a support incident ahead of time. The support team could have a comment on your upgrade plan, and have all of your information ready and be on standby when you perform the upgrade.

In this case, in which is_read_committed_snapshot_on = ‘false’, the check is performed and because the test has not failed this query has returned ‘true’:

SELECT HAS_PERMS_BY_NAME( ‘BFEnterprise’, ‘DATABASE’, ‘ALTER’ )