Bigfix Support Multi Character Set for Different Text Languages

Hi. How are you? Wondering if anyone has suggestion how to do this. We are tasked to add the “LegalNoticeCaption” text on Windows 10 devices when the Win Logon banner…

We figure we create a action script to generate a Powershell script.

action uses wow64 redirection false

// CREATEFILE
createfile until END_OF_FILE

$text1 = @‘
This computer system, owned by…….
’@

$setvalue = $text1
$setvaluecaption = “AVERTISSEMENT / ATTENTION:”

New-ItemProperty -Path “hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon” -Name “LegalNoticeCaption” -Value $setvaluecaption -PropertyType:String -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path “hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon” -Name “LegalNoticeText” -Value $setvalue -PropertyType:String -Force

END_OF_FILE

delete set_legal_banner.ps1
move __createfile set_legal_banner.ps1

But we start running into issues, as now my requestors want to have other languages , like Chinese, Hungarian or Italian languages… ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-2… They have different character sets and we seems having issue to place them into the fixlet action script… Does the Bigfix console supports various character sets in the action script? And if there is a way to get around this… Thank you…

@kcheung, have you considered putting the legal notice texts into a JSON or XML file and then using prefetch to deliver and applicable relevance inspectors to pull said values at run-time?

I think that may be the only way… But somehow I have to get this file to support different character-set. Not really sure what you stated deliver and applicable relevance inspector what it is really need to setup? Please explain. Thank you. Kev

So I did a quick Google search for json multi language support and see a decent post on stackoverflow about building a multi-language website using jQuery and JSON. This solution absolutely will take a fair amount of programming to package as BigFix content (i.e. Action Script & Relevance), but it is possible.

As described in https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Installation/top_down_data_flow.html, in your fixlets, tasks or actions, you can only use characters available in FXF encoding (that is defined by the language of your BigFix server).

To solve your problem, I think the way cmcannady suggested is the best for readability and maintenance, but just for your information, you can also use hex notation and binary_string.

If you know the hex value of desired string in UTF8, UTF16 encoding), you can include any string in your fixlet/task/action.

For example,
(binary_string “e38182e38184e38186”) as utf8 string
will produce Japanese string in clients even when your BigFix server is not Japanese.

And also, BigFix has regset/regset64 and you do not need to call PowerShell to just set registry value.

1 Like

akira and cmcannady,
Appreciate your input and suggestions… What akira suggested is what we were thinking to do, but what cmcanddady seems more practical and will try that… Thank you so much. Kevin

2 Likes