BigFix setup configuration synced between BigFix environments

We are new to BigFix and just getting started with the platform. We have 3 separate BigFix environments setup. Development, QA, and Prod. Licensing wise, we are on Lifecycle. Intial focus is exclusively Windows Server but we will add Linux when time allows. Footprint is a global hybrid cloud with > 7000 endpoints.

Server installation is straightforward, and we have this documented. What is proving to be difficult though, is the post environment setup using the Console. The seemingly endless licensed feature (sites) enabling, followed by configuration, followed by subscriptions, and whatever else… to be very daunting and nearly impossible to fully document and repeat consistenly accross each environment.

Additionally, with our QA environment and Prod environment, we plan to first install/configure/test in QA and then later “promote” to Production. Ideally we want these two environments to be as identical as possible, to aide both in ensuring we have functionality working as intended prior to production and provide a troubleshooting area should any issues arise.

So… I am seeking help and feedback about how to address this issue to essentially script/copy/promote/sync BigFix platform configuration between environments. I am also ineterested in day to day operations as well, such as Automation Plans, Baselines, etc, but initial focus is to get the core infrastructure deployed :slight_smile:

1. We are not finding any way to “script” or “sync/mirror” configurations from one environment to the next. I am aware there is a CLI, but initally it does not look to address all needs… or at least without extensive development and learning curve of BigFix XML. I will be evaluating that more deeply, for example, LDAP configuarion seems possible. Ideas?

2. If you have already done something similar, would you please share how you solved it?

I’m in the process of syncing my Test Environment with my Production Environment. Most of the Content can be exported from one and imported to the other. What I have to do manually is create the Sites and Roles that control the access.

There doesn’t appear to be a way to Export these.

Sounds like a good candidate for what IBM used to call an Request for Enhancement (RFE). I forget what HCL calls them, and where to submit them. If I find it later today, I’ll try and remember to come post the URL for it. (Unless someone beats me to it).

1 Like

Here is a link to the BigFix Ideas Portal: https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/

1 Like

Thank You Sir!!
Saves me having to dig for it.

I’ve submitted a New Idea to the site. https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFP-I-18
Basically, I’d like the ability to Export EVERYTHING about an Environment (Other than the Actions and Computers) and be able to Import it into a different Environment.

2 Likes