BigFix Server Upgrade failed

I have an installation of BigFix with a remote SQL server database. I am trying to upgrade BigFix manually to 9.5.14 however whenever I start the installer it throws an error to say that the login failed for user ‘sa’.

I have a separate user with full permissions set up for the database, all DSN entries on the server are set to use this specific user.

Where is the use of ‘sa’ login configured for the upgrade, and can this be changed.

Thanks

I’ve seen that message before on upgrades. Usually if you ‘X’ out of that dialog, the rest of the upgrade will complete. Immediately after that, open the Administration tool. It will detect that the database schema is down-level and will update it. Then stop and restart all your server services. (Be sure your services are using the service account for the database access.)

Hi

Thank you for your reply, I have tried clicking the cross out of the dialog box but that just takes me to the finish dialog box indicating install has been cancelled.

Apologies, I knew this but of arcane knowledge was out there but it took me a while to find it. Try this edit for the HKCU registry, under the account you are using to run the upgrade:. Reconfiguring SQL account for connecting BigFix Server and SCA applications to the SQL Server database - Customer Support

Change the BESAdmin account to the new SQL account by changing the following setting to 1, so that BigFix administrator can specify the new account instead of the default “sa”:

HKCU\Software\BigFix\BFEAdmin\Settings
“AllowCustomUsername”[DWORD]

Note: This setting is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU), so, it is effective for the logged Windows account that is running the command.

Once that is in place, the upgrade process should ask which SQL account to use.

HI Jason

I have tried that and now when running the BigFix Administration tool it allow me to change the database user, however when trying to run the upgrade I do not get prompted for a user it just throws the error about the sa user.

If you don’t have a support ticket open yet, you should probably open one (and post back here with the resolution). I think it would help for support to have eyes on what you’re seeing.

It might be worth checking to see if the user account that is running the upgrade is flagged as the “owner” of the database. This is distinct from the role of dbo. In other BigFix products, ownership is necessary do installs and upgrades on SQL Server.