Bigfix ROOT API webui-sites no longer working

Hi Jason,

The plan is to reboot today end of day and see what port services.exe self allocates, will report back.

1 Like

Rebooted the server and services.exe took another random port and everything is groovy.

It really was a “did you try turning it off and on again” moment :disappointed_relieved:, the odds of this happening though… cursed

1 Like

I haven’t come across this before, and will definitely add it to my bag of tricks. Thanks for your patience going through all these details.

1 Like

Same, crazy stroke of bad luck, I don’t have good math because I’m not sure how services.exe or anything else that uses dynamic ports “chooses” which port to use but on paper at the most basic level it was a a 0.00006103515625% or 1/16384…

Yes, those are very slim odds and I haven’t encountered that particular one before. But I’m concerned that it could happen, and given that “fixed it with a reboot” is a solution I don’t know that we’d know if this is actually a more common occurrence.

I’ve uploaded a Fixlet to at https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/27007 that will add an exclusion for port 52315 from the ephemeral port range, so it should not be automatically allocated to a dynamic service. If you’re concerned that you might encounter such a port conflict again, this is worth trying out at least in a development environment.

1 Like

Awesome Jason!

We will be looking to add that on our instance, thank you.

1 Like