Bigfix Remote Control - Optimize Preformance

Hi

I have successfully installed the Bigfix Remote Control server in my environment but i need some handy tips from you regarding optimization. The helpdesk is complaining that the tool is a bit “sluggish” during takeovers. We have good ms during sessions ( 15 ms-ish ) and it does not seem to make any difference changing color quality.

• 1600 clients
  • The server has the requirements for a medium environment,
  • Managed Mode
  • Relay Server
  • Run the remote control session from a local computer, with the .jnlp file.

The helpdesk have in the past be using teamviewer so they are definitely comparing these tools.

Look forward to hearing from you experts :slight_smile:

Hi bjarnigud,

What version of Remote Control did you install ?

To speed up the session start I would suggest you to get rid of the Java popup by installing the Controller application instead of relying on Java Web Start. In order to do that you can use the specific Task on the RC BigFix site or you can download the installer from the RC Server web interface (Tools -> Downloads -> Agents Downloads -> ). Then from the RC server web interface change always.use.preinstalled.controller to true on the trc.properties configuration. (Every operator have to install the Controller on the computer once this is enabled).

Your environment is quite small compared to some customer environment with 20.000 Targets and maybe more. However keep in mind that once that a communication between Controller and Target has been established there is no other component involved in the communication unless you use a Broker and you established a Broker session. In that case the Broker need to be capable of handling simultaneous sessions.

In general the number of the session that can be established simultaneously depends on how much hardware are available for the RC Serer and Broker and what is the bandwidth and latency between Controller and Target. In your specific case what are the operating systems involved in the session ? What do you mean with “sluggish” ? Can you be more precise ?