Bigfix Relevance for upgrade of current application version with new version

Hi All,

I need help in building relevance to upgrade the application, where it should check current version of application and proceed for upgrade.

e.g Current version of Notepad++ is 7 and want to upgrade to new version to 7.9.1.

Also can we have relevance if version is 6 then it should report or upgrade to 7 and then upgrade to 7.9.1

Thanks.

parameter "version1"="{exists files whose (name of it = "notepad.exe" and version of it < "7.0.0") of folders "example\example\example" of (program files x32 folders; program files x64 folders)}"
parameter "version2"="{exists files whose (name of it = "notepad.exe" and version of it < "7.9.1") of folders "example\example\example" of (program files x32 folders; program files x64 folders)}"
if {parameter "version1"}
install commands here
endif
if {parameter "version2"}
install commands here
endif

This would technically upgrade any version of notepad below 7 , and then everything below 7.9.1. Depending on what you are upgrading you may want to throw a reboot in between each upgrade or if you could take everything to max version at once you could save yourself some trouble.

1 Like

HCL already provide fixlets to upgrade Notepad++ to the current version. You might want to check those out to see if they will suit your needs

Hi…

Thanks…

I had taken notepad++ as an example… I want to upgrade third party application for which same relevance can be used…

Hi Mosley…

I had checked in Fixlet debugger…result is as below…

q:parameter “version1”=“{exists files whose (name of it = “notepad++.exe” and version of it < “7.0.0”) of folders “Notepad++” of (program files x32 folders; program files x64 folders)}” parameter “version2”=“{exists files whose (name of it = “notepad++.exe” and version of it < “7.9.1”) of folders “Notepad++” of (program files x32 folders; program files x64 folders)}” if {parameter “version1”} install commands here endif if {parameter “version2”} install commands here endif

E: This expression could not be parsed.

I had replaced some content which as mentioned as example…It would be great help if you can elaborate each steps…

Thanks …

Two good places to start -

https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/guide/

https://developer.bigfix.com/relevance/guide/

What was posted earlier was a sample of ActionScript - it was not working cod and can’t be run directly in the debugger. “Install commands here” was just a comment, it needs to be replaced by your program’s actual installation commands.

The blocks in {} tags are a relevance substitution. The second guide has a tutorial on Relevance, which is the core functionality of querying your system’s state. For application detection, the most common queries involve using the Registry inspectors to find entries from the Add/Remove Programs list, at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall (or it’s WOW6432Node equivalent); but for more complex queries we can check file/folder existence, versions, content, WMI queries, etc.

It’s a big topic, and if you’re new to BigFix I suggest going step-by-step through the tutorials, and sign up for an online training session. See this post for info on how to sign up:

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Thanks for updating and helping . I had updated the changes and it works… Also i going through the guides as mentioned above…

For training https://www.hcltechsw.com/wps/portal/products/bigfix/training, i had missed BigFix 101 IST schedule as that slot is closed.

If IST schedule is available again, will try to register…