BigFix OSD - Issue with Bare Metal imaging

Hi,

I’m trying to do a bare metal imaging using PXE Boot and UEFI setting. I can get to the PXE Boot menu and select the bare metal profile I setup in the BigFix console. I can see that it is downloading the boot.wim file. The issue is once it is done downloading, the wizard tries to run the rest of the task sequence but it give an error saying:
"Crash dump at 5e0:@BN:145, suspended
Memory corruption detected: dump saved to file ‘crash.log’ "

Anybody know how to fix this issue?

The only change I made in the OSD server was change the maximum TFTP segment size value from 512 to 1024

I am seeing this too. Any clue on what causes it or how to fix?

1 Like

Is the boot.wim fully booted into WinPE and running the rbagent commands at the time of crash, or are you crashing while it’s trying to boot into the WinPE OS?

I’m seeing something similar on select hardware models, introduced by PE10 1709. I have a workaround but I’m not confident yet as I’m have a lot of different OSD issues right now.

A pic is worth a thousand words

Certainly is.

What version of WinPE are you using? 310.05 is a pretty old bare metal server version…

I am using 9.5.8 BigFix Version and I install this using the wizards so why is it so old?

Not too sure how to tell that… is there a way to tell without booting something to it? IE from within BigFix?

Other various TidBits.
MDTBundleCreatorVersion=3.10.6
WAIKVersion=10_1709
MDTVersion=6.3.8450.1000
RBAgentVersion=7.1.120.31005
usmtVersions=USMT10_1709x86,USMT10_1709x64
SyncTimeMDT=1519147377155

Maybe it’s a mistake on my part, I assume the rbagent version should stay in sync with the bare metal server version. The current bare metal server is at build 310.20, replacing 310.11 from six months or so ago; I don’t know how far back 310.05 is.

In the OSD Bare Metal Server dashboard, at what version are your bare metal servers reporting?

I’m going through the workflow for a new image Capture, and noticed that my rbagent inside in the WinPE is also logging version 310.05. Odd that it doesn’t stay in sync with the Bare Metal Server version, but … fwiw I’m seeing the same version.

Any other ideas here? Perhaps open a PMR?

I had to downgrade from 310.20 back to 310.11 as we were having horrible loading times… After we upgraded to 310.20 it started taking about 8 hours just to load the initial WinPE… After the downgrade it’s back to the 2 minutes we were used to.

I’ve seen others saying the same but hadn’t encountered that in my environment. I’m running on 310.20 and have other issues, but the TFTP boot.wim download is running right around two minutes.

Tftp tuning has a lot to do with it, but you should open a PMR to look at your 310.20 issues.

Hello

I have the exact same issue with BMS version 310.20. I noticed when updating from 310.11 to 310.20, the PXE boot >> \sources\boot.wim loading took incredibly long to load - over 20+ mins.

I had to uninstall 310.20 and revert back to the previous version - 310.11 which fixed my issue and the WIM loaded less than 60 secs.

On another site, I had issues rolling back to the former version of BMS so I had to run ID134 - BMS cleanup post uninstall / install failure. Eventually i blew the OSD server away and created a new one and then rolled out BMS 310.20. This works perfectly without issues. This was an easy workaround fix.

I have a PMR open and waiting to gather some logs (have the BMS version at 310.20 and test deploy an image) to provide IBM with the outputs. Once I get further updates, I’ll post here.

Hope this helps

Cheers, paco

Content in the OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging site has been modified.

Reasons for Update:

New! Windows 10 / Windows Server Release ID 1803 support
New! Windows ADK for Windows 10 Release ID 1803 support (MDT bundle 3.10.7)
New! RedHat Enterprise Linux 6.10 deployment support

• List of APARs included in this refresh:
  • IJ07383: Deployment could be slower with Bare Metal Server version 7.1.1.20.310.20:grinning:

Published site version:
OS Deployment and Bare Metal Imaging, version 81.

Hopefully this fixes the speed issue!

1 Like

Is there a way to find a detailed changelog for the Bare Metal Server 310.21 update? Is APAR IJ07383 the only item changed? Any details on what specifically changed?

So far I have a very small sample size (one OSD server upgraded to 310.21 and one PXE boot), but my TFTP time has increased from 2 minutes to 3 minutes for the boot.wim download. I’m configured with TFTP segment size 1432 bytes in the Bare Metal Server configuration, and for 1432 bytes and 4 blocks in the PE10 config.

Are there any settings we need to apply after upgrading to 310.21 ?

I second this. We are seeing very odd things with 310.21 and PXE boot.