Bigfix Multi-tenancy

Hi all,

where to find more information for setting up the new multi-tenancy setup for Bigfix since rel 9.2.2 ?
I found a document telling this was new in the tool from that version. Is this correct ?

Greetings,

Davy

Hi

I dont think if there is a own tool for setting up a multi-tenancy enviroment, but i have set up my own using sites and making automatic groups in those site. Users then only get access to the sites, I got about 11 customer sites setup now.

If there is a better way it would be nice to hear.

1 Like

multi-tenancy has been a capability of BigFix for as long as I have ever used the product.

Even in the same organization we use the multi-tenancy abilities to give department IT access to their computers and their computers only.

• Create a custom site for every tenant and give the console operators of that tenant write access to it.
  • Create an automatic computer group for every tenant that contains that tenant’s computers and give that tenant’s console operators access rights over the computers.

The hard part is having an easy way to put the computers that belong there into the correct automatic group. If they are all in Active Directory (it doesn’t need to all be the same AD) then you could use the OU membership to do this, potentially in addition to other criteria.

The real challenge is with any computer that is not in AD. For this you could use a clientsettings.cfg file that is unique to each tenant during Client installation that would set a setting on the BigFix client to tell it where it belongs.

We accomplish that via a custom inventory property that is hardcoded into the clientsettings.cfg files used by each tenant. The tenant’s site is then subscribe to all computers whose inventory property contains the assigned tag.

BigFix also has this not-horribly-old document:
https://bigfix-wiki.hcltechsw.com/wikis/home?lang=en-us#!/wiki/BigFix%20Wiki/page/Multiple%20Customer%20Deployments

2 Likes