BigFix Inventory - SQL Configured with SMB3

Just sharing my experience while trying to install BigFix Inventory 9.2.4.0:

Our SQL 2016 cluster uses SMB3 UNC paths for everything but the OS (we are mostly all VM’s using NetApp and VMware).

Installing BigFix Inventory to an SMB3 shares does not work (partially); due to the many bat files used to perform tasks. This wasn’t a big deal, we just created another Windows 2012 R2 VM with a single C drive and installed to that.

What was a surprise was that we couldn’t complete the SQL configuration that is done via the WI wizard; getting “The user is not the owner of the specified database.” The database was partially being created, but not fully. The suspect was that the script used in the wizard to create the database don’t understand UNC paths. Trying to create it on a LUN worked.

So our work around is to create the initial database on the C partition of the SQL cluster, then move the database to the SMB3 location after creation. I’m sure for any upgrades we’ll need to move it back, but hopefully this will function for everything else.

I also am aware that SQL 2016 isn’t officially supported, but we tried it on 2012 (the first SQL version to support SMB) with the same failure. Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

1 Like