BigFix Inventory (BFI) unable to retrieve MAC Software Installed

BFI software scans 10.0.3.1 complete successfully but “Installed Software” on all MACs is 0. Based on the documentation a scanner is not installed but we should pull some information. The default scan is selected and Package Data Scan is selected. Upload Scan Results is non relevant. I believe that is by design though. We are seeing the MACs in BFI but no Software Installed. I don’t see any related errors in the Dashboard health widget. Can someone point me in the right direction on MAC Scans for Software Installations. Or even what you know about MAC OS support. Thank you.

Hi,
as reported into the BFI doc some information about the application usage on the MacOS is available if you run the fixlet “Initiate Software Scan” and enable the analysis “Application Usage Statistics” .
Moreover, if you have enabled/enable the site “BES Inventory and License” you are able to see and activate some MacOS analysis.
Through the console you can enable the analysis “Application Information (Mac OS X)” that reports the following information:

• Number of Non-System Applications
  • Running Processes
  • Installed Applications - Versions
1 Like

Hi @cristiano. As suggested we ran the "Initiate Software Scan” and all of the above mentioned Analyses have been activated. I do see that all of the Analysis is working and pulling application information into the Console. which is good. How is that information pulled into BigFix Inventory? What is the next step in the process. I am assuming that is where the disconnect is. Thank you very much for replying its appreciated.

I did some more digging and found that there are no MAC software signatures in the Catalogue components. There was no MAC software found in the “Package Data” or “Scan Data” reports. I then discovered that “Unrecognized Files Report” was disabled as well. Could that be why I am not Package Data and Scan Data are not finding anything? I will keep digging. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction

I wonder if this issue is related: Hardware Inventory Scanner not supported for MAC OS any longer?

Software Discovery on MAC in BigFix Inventory does not depends on the Scanner / CIT. So it is not related to Hardware Inventory Scanner not supported for MAC OS any longer?

There is needed to execute the Initiate Software Scan on the Mac and have activated the Installed Unix Package Analysis.

This should be sufficient that on Package Data there are listed packaged for the Mac computers.

Then during import there are created catalog signatures automatically to report the software on the Software Classification. This can be disabled via /management/feature and option called “Automatically generate signatures for software installed on Mac computers”, so worth to check if is checked when Packaged Data is there but no software.

When Package Data is missing - check the Unix Package Data analysis result on the BigFix Console side. If not there check analysis activation, last execution status of Initiate Software Scan (if was successful, review also Software Scan Status analysis).

3 Likes

@ArturZ I think that may be the missing piece. The Unix analysis was not activated. I will test that out. Thank You!

@ArturZ Confirmed. Activating the “Unix Package Data analysis” solved the problem. I am now pulling MAC software installation information. @cristiano @itsmpro92 Thank you everyone for responding and your help pointing me in the right direction.

2 Likes