As promised - more - with the solution (that worked for me at least!)
To be safe, I did a backup of everything. And re-reading my first notes when I was “teaching myself” I saw I had stumbled over somthing like this before - and had, what turned out to be, the solution!!!
Just download the Server component, unpack, and run install.sh manually - with a special option (or two actually!)
[root@t430 ServerInstaller_184.108.40.206-rhe6.x86_64]# ./install.sh -upgrade -reuseDb
Welcome to the upgrade of IBM BigFix version 220.127.116.11
Info: Stopping WebUI service ...
Info: Stopping server services ...
Info: Configuring the database for the server component, please wait ...
Info: The database for the server component was configured successfully.
Info: Stopping the client service ...
Info: Stopping Web Reports service ...
Info: Configuring the database for the Web Reports component, please wait ...
Info: The database for the Web Reports component was configured successfully.
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status iptables.service
Unit iptables.service could not be found.
Info: The service 'BESRootServer' started successfully.
Info: The service 'BESFillDB' started successfully.
Info: The service 'BESGatherDB' started successfully.
Info: The service 'BESClient' started successfully.
Info: The service 'BESWebReportsServer' started successfully.
Info: The service 'BESWebUI' started successfully.
The 'IBM BigFix' upgrade completed successfully.
Now - I want to add that I suspect the automated upgrade (that looks very similar to this) because I am also testing BFI. My attempts to backup kept failing because an import process (if I understand the name correctly it is a BFI import process of some kind).
In any case, before running the
-upgrade -resuseDb command above I also stopped the server first AND, as db2inst1, checked that “db2 list applications” was blank (which it wasn’t, so I then ran “
db2 force applications all”.
With all applications quiet - I hope the above gives you the same pleasure it did to me!