BigFix console WEbreports issue

WE migrated our Bigfix (server/console) windows and DB (remote DB) to a new server.

WEbreports database is not updated and we are facing issues with it.
On the Bigfix console -> tools->Lauch webreports still opens the old server page -https://:8083/webreports is the page launched.

when I open the new server on IE https://:8083/webreports?page=Settings
the page launches but it says
"There is a problem with the connection between Web Reports and one or more datasources. Web Reports will continue attempting to connect until the connection succeeds, but in the meantime data will be unavailable. "

I tried to update the URL in the DAtasource and submit but its not updated.
URL [ ? ]:

Master Operator Credentials [ ? ]
Username:
Password:

and also it gives an error : - Failed to login to root server: HTTP 401: Unauthorized

I have updated all the regedit keys with this new hostname, odbc updated…

AM I missinganything here?

It took a little bit of digging so I wanted to post a direct link here. There are instructions at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21505992 that should be helpful.

There’s a Client Setting to apply on both the Root Server and the (new) Web Reports server to set, and then restarting the BESRootServer service to apply it into the database. If that isn’t working, there’s also a direct database edit you can try:

Troubleshooting

Problem
Instructions for how to change the Launch Web Reports URL that appears on the Tools dropdown menu in the BigFix Console.

Symptom
The Launch Web Reports menu item of the BigFix Console should open an URL in your browser, showing the Web Reports interface:

Open Web Reports from Console

If after clicking this menu item, the Web Reports interface is not displayed, you must update the Web Reports URL.

Solution:

Starting from BigFix Version 9.2.5, to update the Web Reports URL, use the following client setting on the computer where Web Reports is installed and on the BigFix server computer:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\Settings\Client_WebReports_HTTPServer_HostName

Change the setting value to:
http(s)://<web_reports_hostname>:<web_reports_port>

Replace <web_reports_hostname> and <web_reports_port> with your Web Reports server hostname and port number respectively.

Restart the Web Reports service.

Alternative solution:

In a Microsoft SQL Server database, execute the following SQL query:

USE BFEnterprise;
GO
UPDATE AGGREGATEDBY set WebReportsURL=‘https://<web_reports_hostname>:<web_reports_port>/webreports’

Replace <web_reports_hostname> and <web_reports_port> with your Web Reports server hostname and port number respectively.

Restart the Web Reports service.

Historical Number

In addition, if you want to copy any custom reports from your old Web Reports server, you can follow the instructions from https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg22008700 :

Question
How to migrate Web Reports Server to a new server machine?

Answer
The steps for Web Reports server migration are as follows:
Windows Server
Stop the BESWebReportsServer service on the old Web Reports Server
Detach and attach the BESReporting DB to the new SQL Server
Copy over the WRs-specific folders (if they contain anything):
** [BigFix Server folder]\BESReportsData\ArchiveData
** [BigFix Server folder]\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\ReportFiles
Add back any custom WRs settings in the registry, the ones that start with _WebReports
If you defined AD users in WRs prior to version 9.1, then set “UseLegacyADLogin” to 1 in HKLM\Software\BigFix\Enterprise Server\BESReports.
Install Web Reports
Linux Server
Stop the beswebreports service on the old Web Reports Server
Detach and attach the BESReporting DB to the new DB Server
Copy over the WRs-specific folders (if they contain anything):
** /var/opt/BESServer/BESReportsData/ArchiveData
** /var/opt/BESServer/BESReportsServer/wwwroot/ReportFiles
Add back any custom WRs settings in the beswebreports.config file located at /var/opt/BESWebReportsServer/.
If you defined AD users in WRs prior to version 9.1, then set “UseLegacyADLogin” to 1 in [Software\BigFix\Enterprise Server\BESReports] in /var/opt/BESWebReportsServer/beswebreports.config configuration file.
Install Web Reports

Note:
If the SQL/DB Server doesn’t change, Step 1 and 2 is not required,
In particular, if you upgraded the pre-existing environment starting from a version older than 9.1, verify if the setting UseLegacyADLogin has been set to 1. (This way the old authentication method will be used. See Step 5.)

1 Like

Thanks that worked after updating the link at the database entry.

Could you please help me with the link to the latest ILMT BIG fix server installation package.

I tried to reinstall SErver 9.5.7.90 and DB version Enterprise 9.7 …
I get the error: Invalid DAtabase version
"Unabel to connect to database version"Enterprise 9.7’,expected version “enterprise 9.66”

I believe that message indicates that the Server has been upgraded, but your Console has not.

Check what version of BESRootServer you have installed, then follow the links at http://support.bigfix.com/bes/release/ to download and install the correct version of the Console.

I did upgrade my clients , server , clients and console to V9.5.03.130

CLient is runnign fine, I have error in BES Sever connecting to the Database now.
THe error I see is

I think you’ll need to open a PMR. It looks like you lost your database connection during the upgrade. They may be able to suggest some besadmin tools to finish rolling forward the database, or you may need to go to your pre-upgrade backup and try again.

I did the remigration of the DB and windows server again from scratch so that I go back where I started and try the connection.
NOw after the migration when I open the BESADmin I get the error:

You should really open a PMR so support can work with you on this. The message indicates your BigFiz Server is running a higher version tha. The Bigfix Database. They will likely walk you through preserving you backup files, then uninstall the server and install whichever lower version of the server that corresponds to that database version.

You can’t rollback just the database, you also need to rollback the server version. But they might also have a procedure to roll the database version forward, which is normally executed by the server upgrade installer.

1 Like

How DO I raise a PMR with IBM?

Since July 1st BigFix is owned by HCL.
This link should help you with how to open a case (was known as PMR in the past at IBM) with support and they will help you as Jason mentioned above.

Rosario.

1 Like

Replied to wrong person… Edit

If you have issues registering for support with HCL please send me a private message.

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Thanks for helping out here BUT…ILMT is not supported directly by HCL.
Nor is the BigFix installation required for it.
ALL ILMT cases must go to IBM initially and they will ask for assistance from HCL as required.
This is required for entitlement issues etc.

For this particular issue, the database is at version 9.5.7 (9.66 in DBINFO) so the oinly way forward will be to backup the db, remove everything using the BES Removal tool and then restore the database, and do an install using the 9.5.7 version and the Masthead from the previous installation.
You will also need to have the license.pvk and license.crt files and the PVK(Site) password.

Once you have the installation done then you can point your ILMT environment to it using the datasource.

The translation for DBINFO to BigFix version can be found on each link for BigFix at support.bigfix.com, go to the version you want to see the DBINFO version information and at the bottom of the page for the BigFix version you will find the database version associated with it.

so to summarize :

ALL ILMT issues MUST go via IBM, not exceptions.

Dave Langridge BEM
L2 Technical Lead
BigFix L2 Support
HCL Software.

1 Like

ALL ILMT issues MUST go via IBM, not exceptions.

Dave Langridge BEM
L2 Technical Lead
BigFix L2 Support
HCL Software.

ALL ILMT issues MUST go via IBM, no exceptions.

Dave Langridge BEM
L2 Technical Lead
BigFix L2 Support
HCL Software.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for helping here!

I just checked that my DB version from “- get result of select * from dbo.dbinfo”

Name Value
Version 74
FilterVersion 3

IN this case, which version shall I try to proceed now?

More information for DAVE , as per my email!
We migrated the ILMT Server (BIG fix and SQL DB) from one windows server to a new windows server.
Both the windows and SQL DB was migrated. WE are now on ILMT version 9.2.12.0 and Big Fix Console version 9.5.13.130 and SQL DB is on Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP3) (KB4022619) - 12.0.6024.0 (X64) - Standard Edition (64-bit)
We are able to have the Console up and running and clients running. WE have issues in connecting with the Database for the webreports.

• Steps taken leading up to the problem
    Refer: BigFix console WEbreports issue
    After the re-migration , and few changes to the sever.xml and database.yml file, updated the registry keys, ODBC details all with the new server information , but still unable to reach the DB.

Once When I upgrade all the console , ILMT , bigfix to the version V9.5.03.130 But then the BES Server is not connecting to the DB.
It asks to update the DB Schema and when clicked for it the page is lost as the server is not connected to the internet. Screen shots in the link Refer: BigFix console WEbreports issue

Now we again re migrated the servers and we are on ILMT version 9.2.12.0 and Big Fix Console version 9.5.13.130 and SQL DB is on Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP3) (KB4022619) - 12.0.6024.0 (X64) - Standard Edition (64-bit)

https://:9081/setup/database gives the error: I was able to edit and provide the DB name initially but now that field seems to be blocked!
“could not attach the screen shot here”

On further configuration it gives the error : https://:9081/
“WE are sorry , but SOMETHING WENT WRONG.”

Thanks for your suggestions and I did reach IBM Support for help!
I was asked to reinstall everything and the new installation fixed my DB connection issues.
But now I see the error when I run the IBM BIG FIX ADMinistration tool to sink my license.pvk file I get the below error.
What could be the possible reasosn for this error?
I did generate a new license request and .pvk file now for this new installation on the new server.

‘This private key does not match the site license certificate’ is the error I get when I sink the license.pvk file

Rather than start a new thread - replying with a similar issue.

I updated the platform from 9.5.12 to 9.5.14 - and now when I try to login to webreports I get the text:

The BESReporting database is too old to use with this version of WebReports. Please upgrade your BESReporting database or configure the LocalBESReportingServer DSN to a valid database.

So, what did not happen during the update?

[root@t430 ~]# rpm -qa | grep BES
BESRootServer-9.5.14.73-rhel.x86_64
BESClientDeployTool-9.5.14.73-rhe6.x86_64
BESWebUI-9.5.14.73-rhe6.x86_64
BESAgent-9.5.14.73-rhe6.x86_64
BESWebReportsServer-9.5.14.73-rhel.x86_64

I am hoping there is a command I can use to update my database, or otherwise recover my custom reports. Assume I do not have a workable copy of custom reports already exported. - (that is a different lesson!)

[root@t430 init.d]# ./beswebreports status
BESWebReportsServer (pid 29338) is running...
[root@t430 init.d]# su - db2inst1
Last login: Thu Nov 14 17:56:22 CET 2019 on pts/0
[db2inst1@t430 ~]$ db2 list active databases

Active Databases

Database name                              = BFENT
Applications connected currently           = 107
Database path                              = /home/db2inst1/db2inst1/NODE0000/SQL00001/MEMBER0000/

Database name                              = BESREPOR
Applications connected currently           = 2
Database path                              = /home/db2inst1/db2inst1/NODE0000/SQL00002/MEMBER0000/
1 Like