BigFix and ILMT installation/running as non-root

Hi all

I see from the documentation that it is possible to install BigFix and ILMT using non-root user, but the server will not be registered as a system service and it will not be possible to upgrade later using a fixlet.

Installing the server using non-root and manually register the server as a system service and performing manually upgrades without fixlets will solve these limitations?

Is it possible to start the server using non-root.

Is this a supported solution or might this cause unwanted scenarios? In other words, using non-root is a bad thing?

Thanks in advance
Regards Tommy

Guess the documentation you mentioned is related to the “BigFix Inventory server” on Linux.
(https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/inventory/Inventory/planinconf/r_install_users.html)

The “Bigfix server” on Linux doesn’t support non-root installation. Non-root installation is supported only on the WebReports and the Webui components.

Thanks for your resonse and feedback.

Regards
Tommy

No problem, I have noticed I wrote “non-root intallation is supported only om WebReports…” Actually the Webreports server must be installed as root, but we allow the capability to run the service as non-root user. This is an option available at installation time. Regards Fabio