BFI Rest API limited characters

Hi All,

Does someone knows why the computer properties with a long string will be cut and end with “…”? It seems the properties has a limit of 256 characters.

“computer_property_112”: [
“Caption=Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller”,
“ConfigManagerErrorCode=0”,
“ConfigManagerUserConfig=False”,
“CreationClassName=Win32_IDEController”,
“Description=Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller”,
"…"
],

In the Console it shows everything. But not when I sent the API request in the Browser or Postman.

Regards, PDT

@ssakunala, can you point @Thang in the right direction regarding this inquiry?

I will check with our Dev team on the character length limit

1 Like

The Dev team confirmed that there is a length limit for Computer Properties in the BFI database. They suggested to open an Idea/RFE to make this limit configurable.
https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/

1 Like

Hello ssakunala, I already did it. But no feedback. BFINV-I-143

It’s weird that only we have this issue. Where is the configuration in the db?

Hello Thang,
The limit is currently not documented. I can’t find the idea BFINV-I-143. Can you please search and send me the link?
I will vote for it and will alert the Dev team.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello Ssakunala, here is the link BigFix ideas. Sorry, hope this works. I am new and cannot put a links in here.

bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFINV-I-143

Hi Thang,
I couldn’t find the idea number BFINV-I-143. I also tried to search with different options but didn’t find any idea related to the Computer Properties length limit.

Hello Ssakunala,
I just create a new one. BFINV-I-157. It is catorized as Inventory.

Hello Ssakunala,

if you can’t find it, you can open one for me. I don’t know why its hidden for you.

This limit should be configured in the database. We are using db2.

Hello Thang,
The issue may be with locked ideas in our system. I will reach out to our product team and will get back to you.

FYI, https://bigfix-ideas.hcltechsw.com/ideas/BFINV-I-143 was previously marked as private. I’ve made it public for visibility/comments/votes.

1 Like

This post here? Why?

I voted for the Idea and sent the details to our BFI development team for review.

Hi Ssaunala: How long will it take normally?

Hi Thang,
I can’t answer for the Product team. They will evaluate the idea request and prioritize based on other ideas/enhancements already in the works.