BFI and auto-mounted Remote Shared Disks

I’m finding that BigFix Inventory is only counting remote shared filesystems that are currently mounted on any given endpoint when the scan runs.

As I’m using automount, each endpoint has access to several dozen mountpoints but most of them are not active at any given time, and are automatically un-mounted at the client.

The unmounted filesystems are not reflected in the “Discover Remote Shared Disks” task and I expect will not be covered in the “Initiate Software Scan on Shared Disks” task (there’s a small footnote in the description If the field is empty, all shared disks that are currently mounted on the selected computers are scanned.)

I expect that based on this, I’ll have some difficulty getting all of my NFS mounts to scan properly.

Is there a way to configure the Shared Disks tasks to include all automount-configured filesystems in the scans? (I suspect there’s not something out-of-the-box for this and I’ll have to write custom copies, but wanted to check first).

Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi,

As per design fixlet Discover Remote Shared Disks discovers only shared disks that are mounted on the selected computers. It works better for majority of users.

If you want to discover all possible auto mounted disks you may make a copy of a fixlet and before scan enter (cd) each shared disk to have it mounted.

Also you may rise an RFE to add a checkbox to force all disks to be mounted during Discover Remote Shared Disks.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Andrzej, it’s good to know that I’m not misunderstanding it.