BF Insights Data source Question

On a standalone BigFix Insights and database server can both the BFInsights and BFEnterprise database reside on the same server. Asking becauseI keep getting timeout errors when trying to setup the datasource connection. The Windows service account has db_owner on the BFEnterprise database and dbo on BFInsights.

From a technical perspective, there is no reason that both databases can’t reside on the same server (there may be performance/resource/capacity reasons to separate them).

That said, timeouts would seemingly indicate connectivity issues (keeping in mind that the WebUI server also needs connectivity to the datasource).

That’s what we have - our BFEnterprise databases from our two Platform environment are automatically restored on dummy databases on the Insights server on schedule and then use those restores as source for the ETLs.

So I find this frustrating. Creating the database using Windows authentication works fine but the fields on the data source page seem to want to use SQL authentication. When I use the account to create the datasource that was used when creating the database I get a authentication error in the SQL indicating I should of used SQL authentication. Using SQL Authentication is Not a supported configuration.

To be clear, today, within BigFix Insights, we do not currently support leveraging Windows authentication against a BigFix Enterprise datasource (it is currently limited to SQL-authentication). Please see ‘Known issues and limitations’ section here for reference: https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/insights/Insights/Getting_Started/c_Prerequisites_whatsnew.html?hl=sql%2Cauthentication

That said, we are looking to alleviate this limitation by providing support for Windows authentication in potential future updates.

1 Like