Besclient.config, keeps getting appended/written to

I have an Ubuntu 16.04 system that I have installed Bigfix on.

I figured out, that a besclient.config file is needed instead of a clientsettings.cfg.

All directory paths /var/opt/BESClient, /etc/opt/BESClient, /opt/BESClient, /etc/init.d/besclient are all owned by root:root. When started everything works fine. The system appears in the Bigfix console, information about site is populated into fields and so on. When I check the besclient.config(where most of the site information is… relays, secondary relay, site, etc) notice that the besagent keeps writing to it.

Any thoughts as why? Or is this normal?

It’s likely normal. All of the “Client Settings” that are applied by Tasks/Actions, Operator Subscriptions, Site Subscriptions, etc. all get stored in this file.

clientsettings.cfg is used only at installation time, to populate besclient.config with an initial group of settings. It’s often used to point the client at a specific relay, or tag the client with a setting that would be used to assign operators, asset ownership, or something along those lines.

Once the client is installed, clientsettings.cfg is no longer used and the besclient.config should be dynamically managed by the client.

So I need to use both clientsettings.cfg and besclient,config?

Do I need to tell clientsettings.cfg to look at besclient.config? I thought on linux systems only besclient.config was used and clientsettings.cfg was used by Windows/Mac’s?

The file “besclient.config” is the current representation of the items that live in the Registry on Windows and in a plist on the Mac.

You shouldn’t edit this file with a running agent or it will be overwritten.

On Linux/UNIX installs the clientsettings.cfg is not used at all so it won’t help you. There is a .default version of the besclient.config that is the starting point for a fresh client.

1 Like

I don’t think we were aware of the .default version. Could you elaborate? I think our Linux crew is script-building an initial besclient.config before installing the rpm to set initial values, but a .default may work better for them.

The besclient.config.default that is laid down by the RPM installation is what the client will use if it doesn’t have a besclient.config file at launch. This is where your “defaults” for your installation should be so if you say modify the RPM for your deployment you can push in the values appropriate for your deployment.

1 Like

Wow, has this changed? No matter what I put into the besclient.config after I restart the BESClient, the besclient.config file permissions change back to root and are overwritten with what is in the masthead file settings. I am new to Linux and am following these instructions. Any ideas?
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21578286