Bes client not registering

I’m attempting to install bigfix client v9.5.13 on a windows 2012 server. I’m getting this error in the logs:

RegisterOnce: GetURL failed - General transport failure. - SOCKET RECEIVE (winsock error 4294967286 - registration url - http://relay:52311/cgi-bin/bfenterprise/clientregister.exe

The relay it’s configured to point to has about 5 other endpoints already successfully registered. It is a centos7 relay (v9.5.13). I can telnet from the win2012 endpoint to the relay (tcp/52311). I can ping the FQDN of the relay. I can run nc -z -v -u x.x.x.x 52311 from my relay to the endpoint confirming udp/52311 is open.

I re-installed the client on win2012 endpoint
I rebooted the win2012 endpoint.
I re-installed the relay.

I am out of ideas. What other troubleshooting steps should i be doing.

Thanks!

@LouC, have you:

• Configured the _RelayServer1/_RelayServer2 settings and disabled auto relay affiliation on the Win2k12 relay in question? BESRelays cannot utilize automatic relay affiliation.
  • Confirmed that the Win2k12 firewall is disabled or configured to permit TCP/UDP in/out on 52311?

It may be necessary to enable BESClient debug logging (fixlet ID 157 in BES Support external site) to collect data about what the client is doing for relay affiliation. Please note that this debug data will be necessary for a support case with L2.

1 Like

Yes, relayserver1 and 2 are configured and set to manual relay selection.
Yes, firewall is disabled. I will enable debug logging on the relay and see what additional info is gathered.

Thank you!

If you’d like, you can DM me the output from the besclientdebug.log that will be in the BESClient root directory. Alternatively, you can wash the besclientdebug.log and post here for possible review of multiple sets of eyes.

The error above suggests that the Client is in fact making a connection to the Relay, but is unable to receive any data (SOCKET RECEIVE). It seems too that the tests you’ve run are also limited to initiating a connection, but not necessarily transferring data.

Given this, it would seem that something external to BigFix is likely interfering with the network connection between this Client and this Relay. Some things to try might be:

• Try opening a browser from the Client and connecting to the Relay’s diagnostic page.
  • A network packet capture run on both the Client and the Relay during a registration attempt may help with troubleshooting
  • explore software on the Client as well.

It might be best to open a support case on this.

2 Likes