Automatic Group Name Property

I’m trying to create a custom property that retrieves the automatic computer group name.
Searching through the foruns I’ve tried these ways:

names of BES Computer Groups
(name of it) of BES Computer Groups
(names of bes computer groups of it, name of it) of bes computers

The results are: The operator “bes computer groups” is not defined or The operator “bes computers” is not defined.

I thought it would be simple. How does the relevance of the group association filter work?

Maybe something like this will help?

(name of it, (if manual flag of it then "Manual" else if automatic flag of it then "Automatic" else "n/a"), number of members of it) of bes computer groups

Bob_K

Hi Bob_K,

Actually, all I need from this is the (name of it) of bes computer groups, but the result is: “The operator bes computer groups is not defined.”

When creating a custom filter you have the option to select computer group and select name or comment as relevance. I need to get that group name information to create a property to show the computer groups name on my computers list, so I can see wich group that computer belongs to or if it belongs to any group.

Note that my automatic groups are set by subnet address properties, if it is relevant information.

bes computers is session relevance so it will not work in the bigfix client.
why do you need a custom property ?

A custom property is usually some property of your computer and the name of a computer group is not a property of a computer.

2 Likes

If you are looking for reporting purpose, you can use Web Reports. As @gearoid said bes computer is a session relevance it’ll not evaluate in Client.

We manage offices throughout a whole State. Some cities have more than one managed location. So with the subnet address information I know where this computer belongs to.

Nowadays we have to consult a subnet address - location/city list, so I’ve created several automatic groups set by subnet address with the name of these locations/cities. This way I can see all computers that belongs to a specific location/city but I can’t see which location a specific computer belongs to. Note that one computer only belongs to one location/city but, sometimes, it can be physically moved to another location/city.

It would be very convenient to see this information easily when looking for a computer in the computers list.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Computer Group Membership is already a section in the Summary document of a computer in the console, and Groups are listed for each device in the Device List in the WebUI.

You can also create a report in Web Reports using the Explore Data view. You can add the “Computer Groups” property as a column in the report and/or add a filter for Computer Group is XXXX to only display computers within that group.

1 Like

I already knew about Web Reports just as @shalva has mentioned, but I was looking for something more like a “quick view” at the console like Computer Name - IP Address - Group Name.

Maybe I should take a deeper look at the WebUI since I’m not quite familiar with it (we just started to use BigFix a few months ago and we have a long road to go) and see if we can achieve something close to what we are looking for.

Thank you all for your help.