Automatic Group for Server 2019 not working

So, I’m trying to create a simple automatic group containing just Windows Server 2019.

I’ve done this many times with other OS versions. Win2008, Win2012R2, etc… But for some reason, this same process is not working for Win2019. Makes no sense.

This is our first Windows 2019 server, and there will soon be more… And I use this group to sort, include and exclude servers. Any thoughts why this may not be working when it works for all my other OS’s?

I’ve used “contains” and “equals” … but the results are the same.

!bigfix_Group

Thanks,
Chris

When you look at the “OS” property for computers in the console…does it include Win2019?

For some versions of the client, it may not; it might instead say something like “Win2016 (10.1.1809.xxxx)” in which case you’d need to match against that instead

Hmmm I just had a 2019 server install and it’s showing as a 2016 server :confused:

Pretty sure you need 9.5.11 (or .12 not sure) to report 2019 correctly

1 Like

you could add this to look for the specific build:

if ((exists value “CurrentMajorVersionNumber” of it AND value “CurrentMajorVersionNumber” of it as integer = 10 of it) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion” of native registry) then ((it as integer = 1809 OR it as integer = 1903) of value “ReleaseId” of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion” of native registry) else true

It would be “Win2019.10.0.17763”.720 (1809) … I tried that as well, no joy. It’s just not picking it up at all.

I’m at the current version of BigFix, 9.5.13.130. I can add it to a manual group obviously, and it identifies as Win2019 in the properties, it just won’t go into an automatic group like all the others OS’s I have set up. Odd.

It patches fine. Everything is normal… except for this one thing.

Thanks,
Chris

I don’t have any Windows 2019 servers to check this - what does the property “OS” display for the 2019 servers?

OS properties are:

Win2019 10.0.17763.720 (1809)

So, you’d think it would work… right?

-Chris

Yeah, I’d expect that to work.

…are the 2019 machines subscribed to the “SMI” site where you are creating this group?

Good call! That was it. Thanks!! It had been so long since I set the OS conditions in the site, I didn’t even think about it! So simple.

Thank You!

Chris

1 Like

That would suggest that the OS values are in some way hard coded if it’s not detecting properties correctly unless Microsoft have changed the location of where this info is stored?

@AlanM do you know why this would be?